Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Fast and Easy Dinner

I was not in the mood for cooking tonight... and I have felt like a bottomless pit all day, so I wanted an minimal effort meal, pronto!

I decided to make a grilled ham and swiss cheese sandwich. Instead of buttering the bread like I usually do, I used 1 tbsp of olive oil in the frying pan instead. (Yay, heart-healthy fats!) I actually like the olive oil taste much more than the typical buttery taste.


To compliment my sandwich, I threw together a spinach salad with red peppers, cucumbers, carrots, and 1 tbsp of peanut dressing (Stop & Shop's "Simply Enjoy" brand). I loved the peanut dressing on my salad tonight-- it made my raw veggies a lot more exciting!


Here is my dinner all together with a glass of soda water with lemon slices. When I was taking this photo, I realized that I never include what I drink with my meals, unless it is wine or tea... or the occasional weekend iced coffee with my breakfast. The reason that I don't is because I almost always drink plain ice water, which isn't very exciting to post about. So, in the future, if I don't post a drink with my meal, just assume I am drinking iced H2O! :)


After dinner, I ate 4 mini olive oil cake muffins. Delish! I can't get enough of those things!

2 slices Ezekiel bread: 160
Deli ham: 50
Swiss cheese: 100
1 tbsp olive oil: 120
Salad veggies: 60
1 tbsp peanut dressing: 35
Dinner total: 525

4 olive oil muffins: ~300
Dessert total: 300

I'm off to cozy-up in bed and read Eat, Pray, Love. I'm dying to know what this book is all about! It's gotten so much hype in the blogs and on the news!


**Update**
I totally forgot to add my afternoon snack: Fage with canned pumpkin and chocolate chips. I took a photo and uploaded it, but forgot to include it in my post. Oops.

Fage: 80
1 tbsp chocolate chips: 70
1/4 cup pumpkin: 40
Snack total: 190

7 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

mmm, I LOVE peanut dressing!! great addition to your salad!

Kath will be reading Eat, Pray, Love tonight as well, haha - sounds like an interesting book, for sure! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Grilled cheese is such a great comfort food, and always great when you're in a pinch. I just love it!

I want to get my hands on that book. It's on my big list of books to read when I'm done the semester. =)

Living to Feel Good said...

Your veggies look beautiful in that picture. I drink water most of the time too! Looks like an easy yummy dinner! :)

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not I never had peanut dressing, being that i love all things pb, i'll have to try it...

great idea w/ using olive oil instead of butter!

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

Do you buy bagged lettuce or wash your own?

Anonymous said...

Hi B.L.,

I buy bagged greens (and spinach).

Unknown said...

I have never tried peanut dressing but I don't see why I wouldn't like it ;-)