Monday, June 16, 2008

Dates to the Rescue

Somehow, we are out of fresh produce again! We should probably buy more, but I hate buying too much and having it go bad. This morning, I opened the fridge, only to find a single peach and a 1/2 of a lemon. Not much to work with. Then, I remembered... dates! Oh, how I love dates in my oatmeal. De-licious!

This morning's mixture:

  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup vanilla hemp milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 5 dates (chopped)
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
The hemp milk made the oats super creamy and gooey-- my favorite way to eat them!


For some extra calcium, a dark chocolate Adora disk...


Iced coffee to go...


Kath's Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars fresh from the oven...


Portioned, packaged, and ready to go. These make a great portable snack! And pre-packaging the bars like this prevents me from eating all of them in 2 days!


Question of the Day

What was the "healthiest" thing that you did for yourself this past weekend?

Me: I ate some wonderful fresh fruit in smoothie form as well as took a relaxing walk yesterday afternoon. I love walking and letting my mind unwind.

15 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The healthiest thing I did this weekend might not sound "healthy," but here it is:

Yesterday I took a "rest day" by going for a relaxing 3 mile walk, stayed home and watched a movie at night, and spent most of the day just sitting around the house, laughing with the family over a fathers day dinner (carrot cake for dessert!!,) and just enjoying life in general. It was an amazing "mental break" from the busy week, and was just what my body needed. :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Gotta love those dates!! :0)

The healthiest thing that I did for myself this past weekend?? Satisfied my cravings for tons of fresh fruit and vegetables (even MORE so than usual).

arielle said...

Those bars look so good...I have to try them.

Anne P said...

played hookie from work on friday with my boyfriend and went hiking in shenandoah national park! also, relaxed at the pool yesterday and swam laps to mix up my exercise a bit :)

Anonymous said...

the healthiest thing i did was run a 5 k! =) i had a blast.

Anonymous said...

Cool you made the bars!!! Hope you like them

Anonymous said...

healthiest thing: definitely forcing myself to the gym with a wicked hangover on sunday...

Anonymous said...

Tina,

Did you leave out the brown sugar in the bars like Kath did?

Anonymous said...

Anon,

Yep, I left out the brown sugar as well. Although, I might add it next time I make them.

chandra said...

Those bars look so good, do they hold you over well?? I'm thinking about making them.

The healthiest thing I did for myself this weekend was listening to my body. I didn't force it to run when it didn't want to, and I let it rest/sleep when it wanted to! Very relaxing!

Anonymous said...

The healthiest thing I did this weekend was go for a 6 mile hike in our neighborhood. The views are spectacular from the top of the hills.
The baked oatmeal bars look fantastic! How about adding honey instead of brown sugar? You will get more antioxidants and it's a better alternative for diabetics. ;)

Peggy said...

silly question - how do you make your iced coffee?

Anonymous said...

Peggy,

I brew the coffee for the iced coffee the same way as a regular pot of coffee, but I use double the coffee grinds to make it double the strength. After the pot has finished brewing, I chill the coffee in the refrigerator in a big thermos. (Letting it chill overnight works best.) To make an iced coffee, I just add ice to the chilled coffee as well as milk, sugar, etc. It's a great treat on warm summer mornings, and making it at home saves you a couple of bucks!

Anonymous said...

Chandra,

Yea, the bars hold me over pretty well. They're not that big, so if you ate one as a snack, you might want some protein or fiberific fruit to go with it... or maybe that's just me. I'm always hungry!

Peggy said...

Thanks for telling me how you make your iced coffee! I'm going to try that this weekend...think I made add some SF caramel syrup...mmm :)