Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Dreary Morning

It's rainy and gray in Boston today. (Oooh, that rhymed!) I got right out of bed for my workout this morning. I didn't think it would get easier to wake up in the morning to exercise, especially after doing it for weeks and weeks and feeling like crap, but if you keep at it, it actually does get easier! I think my body has finally reset it's internal clock for 1.5 hours earlier. I ran on the treadmill for 45 minutes, which felt great, (I did the 45-Minute Treadmill Workout) then stretched while watching the morning news.

For breakfast, I cooked-up some oat bran with milk, dates, and walnuts. I love how "plump" the oat bran gets; it really fills me up! I photographed a blood orange with my oat bran, but I didn't have time to eat it at home. I'm planning to eat it later this morning with my coffee... can't wait! I really get excited for food! :)


From above... vibrant colors on that blood orange, huh?


1/3 cup oat bran: 100
5 dates: 120
1/3 cup milk: 30
1/8 cup walnuts: 100
Blood orange: 75
Coffee w/ H&H: 40
Breakfast total: 465

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina! That oat bran looks delicious- do you prefer it to oats? How do you make it?

Have a great day :-)

I enjoy our blog!

Anonymous said...

Anon,

I pretty much like any sort of mooshy, warm carb in the morning. I also eat bulgar and regular oatmeal on a regular basis. I think bulgar is my favorite though.

It's very simple to make oat bran. I just add water/milk and nuke it in the microwave for 2 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! How much oat bran and liquid though? Is it like oats- 1/2c oats and 1c liquid?

Anonymous said...

1/3 cup oat bran to 1 cup liquid. Sometimes I add 1/3 cup of milk with 2/3 cup of water or vice versa. The milk makes it creamier.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,

Can you post your olive oil cake recipe? I was thinking of making it, but I can't seem to find it on your blog anymore. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, this recipe was taken down from Jenna's blog, which is where I got it from. I printed out a copy, so I will try to post it tonight. I might actually make a batch of olive oil cake tonight!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tina, I would appreciate it! If you want, you can email it to me. Let me know and I can give you my email address. I'm a big baker and that recipe sounded interesting....so does the oatmeal raisin cookie recipe you posted yesterday. Might need to try that one soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! Drop me an email, and I'll send you the recipe tonight. Those oatmeal raisin cookies are wonderful! Probably the best cookies I have ever made!

Anonymous said...

Get ready to re-set your body clock AGAIN - daylight savings is coming up. I'll be getting up at 3:50 a.m. UGG!!

Anonymous said...

Tina, I have been wanting to post for awhile to share with you the most delectable date "recipe," since I see how much you enjoy them.

I have always called them "Date Balls" and was just a creation of my mother's several years ago.

I take the pit out of the date, and turn it inside out, so I can roll it into a sticky ball, I then roll it in crushed up dry roasted peanuts (or any other nut would be good) and then dip it into melted chocolate chips. Make however many you want and put them on wax paper and let them get hard in the freezer. Once hard, I put them in tupperware and keep in the freezer. They almost taste like a Snicker's to me!

Anonymous said...

Alisha,

Oh my gosh! I love dates and chocolate and nuts! Sounds so amazing! I am going to make these tonight!! Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina ~ This is a silly question, but I honestly have never had a date before, but seeing how you eat them a lot, I might try them... How would you describe them? Are they similar to raisins?