Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Lentil with Couscous Soup

Mmmmm... lunch was delicious today! I'm all about easy, transportable lunches for the work week, so when we were grocery shopping last Friday, I picked up this Health Valley Lentil with Couscous soup to try... and it did not disappoint! This little cup was a substantial meal, loaded with lentils and high-quality couscous. The soup was hearty, full flavored, and lightly spiced with hints of curry, chili powder, jalapeƱo, and cayenne pepper. For just 260 calories (14 grams protein, 10 grams of fiber), this meal really filled me up and should hold off my hunger for a few hours. Despite the high sodium content (620 mg! Eek!), it was a very satisfying and tasty lunch!

With my Lentil-Couscous soup, I had an Adora disk for some extra calcium...


Prepared in the office by just adding hot water...


I finished off lunch with 4 chocolate-dipped apricots. Love these babies!


My blood orange from 10:00 this morning... delish!

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

MMM I love lentils... That stinks about the sodium though :(

Anonymous said...

I think I like your posts without calorie counts... I think it's less stressful for you and maybe the readers?

jpetroroy said...

I tried that soup last week. Definitely filling! I found your blog through Kath's and Jenna's and am now a frequent visitor. I'm in Boston, too; just got married this past June. My husband and I are thinking of trying Grendel's Den this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Jen,

You will love the Grendel's Den! The food isn't the best, but the atmosphere is wonderful and the price is right! If you have dinner before 7 (maybe 7:30), your whole meal is half off. :)

P.S. The bathrooms are always a fun surprise! (Nothing bad, just different.)

Anonymous said...

I love Lentil soup. I always get the Progresso Brand, and if you get the Fat Free kind it has MUCH less sodium. It comes in a large can, so I split it up between two servings and mix it up with some brown rice. Yummy!!!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, I've never had couscous in soup before - sounds great!! I like barley in soup, so I'm sure it tastes relatively the same (which would be delicious, haha).

oh my, there's those GORGEOUS chocolate-dipped apricots again! and a blood orange! love it.

Anonymous said...

Like VeggieGirl, I too have never had couscous in a soup. It sounds delicious! Lentils are great, they're so filling and so healthy. No guilt. =)

Unknown said...

I had a blood orange for my first time this past weekend. Mmmm. Soo good. Thanks for the suggestion on the soup. Looks great!