Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Spaghetti Squash and Chocolate-Dipped Fruit

I tried something new tonight-- I finally cooked spaghetti squash! I've been meaning to try it for awhile now, but Kath's dinner last night looked so delicious, I just had to make it! I halved and baked the squash, then scraped out the strands, and ate it like regular spaghetti with marina sauce, sauteed mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese. The meal turned out excellent, and it was so easy to make! Even Mal, who was hesitant about tonight's dinner because he dislikes all types of squash, really liked the meal. The small-ish spaghetti squash that I purchased ended up giving us a ton of food. We have leftovers for at least 2 more meals! Not bad for a $2.49 squash!


From above...


After dinner, I was craving chocolate, and earlier today, a reader suggested a recipe for chocolate-dipped dates that I really wanted to test out. Here's how she makes them: "I take the pit out of the date, and turn it inside out, so I can roll it into a sticky ball, I then roll it in crushed up dry roasted peanuts (or any other nut would be good) and then dip it into melted chocolate chips. Make however many you want and put them on wax paper and let them get hard in the freezer. Once hard, I put them in Tupperware and keep in the freezer. They almost taste like a Snicker's to me!" Unfortunately, I didn't have any peanuts to roll them in, but I can only image how amazing they would taste!


Since I was already melting chocolate and dipping fruit, I made a few more chocolate-dipped apricots. Those babies go quick in my apartment, and we will always eat more!


My afternoon snack: Refresh tea, Lite N' Fit yogurt (I swear, it's the last one; I hate to waste food) with Kashi cereal and sliced almonds.

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

How were the dates? I'm dying to know what you think!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

so glad that you finally tried spaghetti squash!! I LOVE tossing spaghetti squash with an abundance of vegetables and tomato sauce - yum!

chocolate-dipped dates???? divine!! you BETTER try that recipe with fresh medjool dates, Tina!! it will taste like luscious chocolate-covered caramel :0)

Anonymous said...

just wondering, but why are you no longer eating the light n fit yogurts?

chandra said...

I had a similar dish for dinner!! I made chicken "spaghetti" alfredo!! Yum. I love spaghetti squash, it is A-MAZING. So glad you tried it!!

gc said...

I tried spaghetti squash once, but never like you and Kath with the whole actual "pasta" type meal...so I didn't care for it...but I've been meaning to make it as pasta for a while now!!

And those dates look amazing.

Thanks again for that comment on my blog. It really made me happy! :)

Have a great evening/thursday!!

Anonymous said...

oh my god. all your chocolate dipped fruit. *cue heavy salivation*

Anonymous said...

Those dates look SOOO good. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Anonymous said...

So glad you liked the squash!!

Anonymous said...

Alish,

The dates were amazing! I made 10 last night, and all of them have been eaten already! I ate the last 2 with breakfast! :)

VeggieGirl,

I am STILL looking for the megjool dates! I've been looking at grocery stores, but I think I need to try a "health food" store. I can't wait to try them, especially with your caramel description! :)

Anon,

I am giving up Lite N' Fit because it has a lot of "fake" ingredients in it. I also re-tried Stoneyfield yogurt, and fell in love with it again. It has such a different, more natural taste than Lite N' Fit.

Anonymous said...

Wait..what is wrong with the Light'n fit yogurt? That is what I eat and wonder if I need to replace it with something else. The only great grocery store we have here is a Publix and they don't carry the Fage. Help!!

Anonymous said...

I've been doing your trick of putting chocolate chips in my dates, but would have never thought about dipping them! Yep, just like a snickers!

Patsyk said...

spaghetti squash is such a great change of pace from actual pasta. I've made it a few times, but my husband and boys just don't like it, so it's always just for me.

The chocolate covered fruit looks wonderful!