Thursday, March 6, 2008

Brilliant Bulgar Breakfast

You'd think I would get bored with the same few breakfasts over and over again, but I really don't. I actually look forward to a big, warm bowl of bulgar (or oats) in the morning. The variety of the different toppings-- nuts, dates, berries, spices, maple syrup, etc.-- definitely keep breakfast interesting for me.

I had bulgar with sliced almonds, sugar-free maple syrup, and a kiwi for breakfast this morning. I just love the vibrant green of a ripe kiwi... it's so pretty! I also ate 2 chocolate-covered dates for breakfast. What can I say, I love chocolate for breakfast! :)


Bulgar and sliced almonds up close...



1/4 cup (dry) bulgar: 160
1/8 cup sliced almonds: 70
1 kiwi: 50
1/8 cup sugar-free maple syrup: 15
2 chocolate-covered dates: ~100
Coffee w/ H&H: 40
Breakfast total: 435

I've been getting mixed reviews on the calorie counts that I include with my meals/snacks-- some people love them, some people would rather not see them. As a compromise, I'll keep posting the calorie counts, but I'll be less consistent with them. So, the readers who don't like them, won't have to see them for every meal, but the readers who do like them can benefit from the counts. I hope this decision works for everyone!

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina - your kiwi looks so vibrant! Reminds me that I need to pick some up today! And I love the fact that you include chocolate for breakfast ~ goes with the whole everything in moderation (plus you get some fruit!) :) Have a great day!

Meighan said...

Your blog is so cute! I am a lurker, I guess you'd say, but have posted on Jenna's blog.

How do u cook your bulgar?

Anonymous said...

Those kiwis do look great. I am a big fan of them. I would add a light sprinkle of Sweet n' Low to them since I love them when they are sweet. Same with strawberries.

Anonymous said...

Sweet n' Low? Seriously?

gc said...

still waiting to try that bulgar!! and I love your cute bowls!

Anonymous said...

For a special treat I make chocolate oatmeal! Just add some cocoa powder & top with a few small chunks of good dark chocolate - it's reminiscent of my faaavorite breakfast growing up... chocolate chip pancakes!! Oh and you could also do choc. banana or whatever else sounds good....

Oh and this is the BEST nighttime snack b/c the warm carbs seem to lull you into sleep oh so well!

healthy ashley said...

I should try that chocolate oatmeal!

Tina, I look forward to my oats (or some warm carb) in the morning, too! I laugh because I have to persuade myself to not have them for dinner-- I WILL have them in the morning!

I personally like your posting of the calorie counts. It's good to get an idea of how many calories a meal has. Since I began tracking my calories, I am more interested in seeing different meal's worth. But I do think that you overestimate! :)

Anonymous said...

That cup is just too cute! Where did you get it? I love your blog, by the way. Keep up the wonderful work! :)

Anonymous said...

Meighan,

I cook my bulgar in the microwave. It takes about 6-7 minutes. Cooking tip: Make sure you microwave it in a big, deep bowl-- otherwise, it tends to overflow and make a huge mess!

It said,

I love chocolate chips in my oatmeal with a little bit of peanut butter. I like you cocoa idea! Yum!

Ashley,

Haha, I could eat oats/bulgar for dinner too! At least once a week, I consider making it again for dinner... even after eating the exact same thing for breakfast. I love my warm, gooey carbs! :)

Brookie,

Aren't those bowls cute? I believe it's actually from Bath & Body works. I think it originally came with bath products in it!