Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Protein Muffins

Good morning!!! The sun is shining here in Boston! Yay! Love it!

I was planning to veg out last night, but, as Mal's dad would say, "grass doesn't grow under my feet," and I ended up experimenting in the kitchen instead. The end result was a wonderful pre-gym/post-gym snack. My baking experiment produced 7 Oatmeal Raisin Protein Mini Muffins, which are a sweet mix of healthy carbs and low-fat protein. Recipe below...


Oatmeal Raisin Protein Muffins
Makes 7 mini muffins or 3-4 regular muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1/4 cup raisins
1/8 cup brown sugar (I used 1 tbsp of Splenda brown sugar)
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 tsp of baking powder
A shake of cinnamon and nutmeg

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. Coat muffin tin with cooking spray.
4. Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups (make sure to include all liquids).
5. Cook for 12-15 minutes.
6. Enjoy before or after a workout!


I ate 2 of these before my workout this morning-- they fueled me right through to breakfast!


Make sure to divide the liquid equally between all of the muffin tins.


Breakfast Blend Again

I'm loving my new breakfast blend of oat bran and bulgar!


Today, I mixed in raisins, walnuts, and vanilla soy milk. The soy milk gave the mixture a sweet taste and a smooth consistency.


Along side my oat bran-bulgar breakfast blend was a bunch of juicy orange slices.


From above...

Breakfast really filled me up today! I actually didn't finish, which almost never happens! I took the remaining orange slices to work with me for a snack later today.


Happy Hump Day!

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!! Those muffins look so cute.

Happy Hump Day!

Anonymous said...

I've been hooked on making breakfasts other than nutrition bars, and yours? they look absolutely fabulous!

Anne P said...

yum! i will have to make those soon!

also, i don't know what's wrong with me, but i always have to try sending my posts like 2 or 3 times because i can never figure out what the word verification is!!! wtf?

Anonymous said...

Anne,

Haha! That happens to me too! They make the letters look so weird that I can barely decipher them!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina, Thanks for stopping by!
I really like your blog a lot to, I will defiantly be back.

Lorrie
Token Fat Girl

Anonymous said...

yumm, love your muffin creation!!

Meghann said...

Than you so much for posting the recipes. I can not wait to go home and try this new one. The rise and shine cookies you posted at the beginning of the month were amazing and I am sure these are just as yummy!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

The mixture looks a little liquidy although it seems to cook up fine! Maybe if you blended the oats (or half of them) to get more of a flour? Either way, they look like a great pre- or post-workout snack and very low in sugar which is nice. I have a recipe for some great No Bake Protein Bars you might like too. They're really tasty!