Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sweet Breakfast Rice

Breakfast rice?

Here's my thinking... I'm hungry, I want something warm and sweet, but I am not in the mood for the typical oatmeal/oat bran/ bulgar options. What else can I eat? Brown rice? For breakfast? Hmmm...it's a whole grain, sort of like bulgar... sure, why not?

My breakfast ended up being sweet, delicious, and filling-- and it was a nice change from the norm.

Sweet Breakfast Rice:
1/2 cup of whole grain rice
1/4 cup of hemp milk (milk, soy milk, etc. would work too)
5 sliced pitted dates (raisins would be good too!)
1/8 sliced almonds
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp of cinnamon

1. Cook instant brown rice according to directions. I used instant rice (10-Minute Success Boil in a Bag).
2. Combine ingredients and mix well.
3. Enjoy!


Lots of dates! :)


From above... I also made a glass of iced coffee, which I am drinking now.


Saturday Night Recap

My sister and her boyfriend invited Mal and I over for dinner and drinks last night. My sister wanted to test out some wines for my shower-- she is planning a "wine and cheese" theme for it-- so last night was all about wine! We ended tasting 4 different wines: 2 whites and 2 reds. All were delicious, but of course, I had my favorites. :)

My sister also prepared a number of appetizers...

Shrimp with the best spicy cocktail sauce! I'm not sure if was from a recipe or the grocery store. I'll have to ask her-- I want to use it next time we entertain!


Goat cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes... I loved these! I asked my sis to make these for my wedding shower too! :)


The main course was grilled veggie burgers with lettuce and tomato on yummy rolls. My sister also served olives as well as cheese and crackers to enjoy with the wine. Fun night!

6 Comments:

ChickPea said...

Everything looks so tasty and healthful! Can I come to your shower??

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I always make rice pudding with brown-rice, so why not make a breakfast dish with it? I LOVE how you made it, with all the dates - yum!

Looks like you had a wonderful night of eats last night!!

Anonymous said...

I used to eat brown rice with PB all the time growing up, so your breakfast isn't strange to me at all! It looks delish though! And oh my gosh, those cakes look out of this world! What is your outside design going to look like? I would be all over that carrot cake!!

Anonymous said...

yum yum! i like the looks of those wheat rolls for the veggie burgers, any chance you knnow the brand?? sounds like so much fun!

Jill said...

Yes, those veggie burgers have made me crave veggie burgers.

I have oat bran in the cupboard but have never tried it as a breakfast before; what would you say the difference is with texture?

Anonymous said...

Your breakfast sounds so sweet and delish! Who would have thought to use brown rice :)

I LOVE your cake flavors & design... your shower sounds like it is going to be fabulous!!! I can't wait to read about it :)