Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Oat Bran with "Coconut Icing"

Mmmmm... breakfast was yumm-me this morning!


I whipped up a bowl of oat bran with sliced almonds and a squirt of sugar-free maple syrup.


I topped my oat bran with about 1/4 cup of vanilla yogurt and shredded coconut (aka "coconut icing"). I love how the cool yogurt sort of melts on top of the warm breakfast grains. It really is almost like icing, especially when mixed with coconut! I'm in love!


From above on our new table runner from Target.


De-Stressors

My facial was exactly what I needed last night... relaxation! I almost fell asleep during it! I had an American facial with an enzyme and collagen ampule. I'm not exactly sure what those different treatments do (besides exfoliate and improve skin quality), but they make my skin look and feel wonderful! The entire facial "experience" completely relaxes me-- from the skin massaging to moisturizing to the warm masks to the soft, meditative music... it's such a great way to destress.

I'm most definitely one of those people who need time to unwind and rebalance myself. With so many demands (work, school, family, wedding planning, etc.) all of our schedules are very hectic, and it’s so easy to get overwhelmed. As you know, these constant, crazy demands put our health at risk. Besides facials, I also destress by running, walking, reading, baking, painting, and practicing yoga, just to name a few. Below are a few links related to stress, health, and weight gain that I wanted to share. Don't let stress weigh you down!

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the combo of vanilla yogurt and coconut - it really does taste like icing! I would love to get a facial - did you get it for your upcoming nuptials, or just for kicks?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

That icing is BEYOND amazing - who knew you could enjoy icing for breakfast?? Loooove it.

So wonderful that your facial was relaxing - it did its job! :0) With all my finals this week, I DEFINITELY need to work on stress reduction- thanks for the article links!

Anonymous said...

Kater,

Yep, I'm trying to get a facial every month up until the wedding. I figured the facials would make my skin look nice and help me relax with all of the wedding planning craziness.

Anonymous said...

Tina,
I just wanted to say thanks for your blog. It is really helpful how you incorporate your own, your readers' and outside tips for healthy living -- all in addition to the great example you set yourself!
Thanks again,
Carrie H

Anonymous said...

I bought that same table runner last week.

I've never made oat bran before..do you just add water?

Anonymous said...

downhomedieting,

Yep, just add water (sometimes I add soy milk or hemp milk) and pop in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. It's so yummy!

Anonymous said...

Grr - I keep seeing people put coconut in their breakfast and I NEED to try this soon! I heart coconut so much and would incorporate it into every meal if I could :)

Anonymous said...

ooo that icing looks AMAZING!I'm sure the facial felt amazing...after this week of finals and my MCATs I'm going to need to do all those destresser to unwind from this tight ball of tension I've become!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Swoon, being engaged must be so fun!