Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Turkey Meatball and Broccoli Pizza

Mr. Mal cooked dinner tonight because my evening commute took almost 2 hours! Blah. There was a fire on the T, so I was basically stranded downtown with no way to get home. Luckily, a friend, who works in the area, gave me a ride. I didn't walk in the door of my apartment until 7:30! Of course, by then, I was starving! 

Mal made a homemade pizza using whole wheat dough (Hanniford's brand), which he topped with tomato-basil sauce, broccoli, mozzarella, and pieces of TJ's turkey meatballs. The meal came out delicious! I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived home to this beauty of a pizza! 

My 2 pieces...


and the whole pizza pie...


I'm also currently enjoying a "I-had-a-crappy-day" glass of wine on the couch while I blog. 


After work, I attended a retirement party for one of the Deans in my department. It was a send-off full of amazing food and lots of laughs. The party cake was beautiful-- chocolate with vanilla butter cream and a funky design on top. Obviously, I had a piece! Cake is my kryptonite


The spread of food at the retirement party included, sushi, stuffed mushrooms, salmon-wrapped asparagus, egg rolls, shrimp cocktail, chicken skewers as well as a few other appetizers. I ate a piece of sushi and a piece of salmon-wrapped asparagus. 


In the middle of the photo below (in the blue shirt, behind the flowers) is Walter Willett, the author of Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy. I'm a huge fan of his, but I swear that I didn't purposely snap this photo. I guess I just got lucky! :) 


Time for bed! Good night!

5 Comments:

Becca said...

That stinks about your commute home! There is nothing worse than not being able to get home when thats all you want! The pizza looks quite delicious though!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm that pizza looks SO good.

They sure had quite the nice spread of foods at the retirement party... sushi and stuffed mushrooms? Yum. And i'm with you on the cake, I have no resistance when it's sitting in front of me.

Anonymous said...

I'm a longtime reader but first time poster. I'm visiting boston for the first time as a graduation gift and I was wondering if you had any reccomendations for resturants? around the Boston commons area (nine zero hotel) where I'm staying. We decided to wing it tn and ended up at Zen aka dissapointing sushi.

Any other must see places you think are good are appreciated. Thanks!!!

Cassie said...

Yea I know what you mean about cake- dangerous! And I think I am gonna make pizza tonight after seeing your post- looks soo good!

Anonymous said...

Kristin,

You are in a great location staying at Nine Zero! Spire (in Nine Zero) is wonderful! It's fancy-schmancy, but a bit pricey. Faneiul Hall is walking distance from your hotel, so there are lots of dining options there. My favs are Wagamama's and McCormick and Schmicks (great seafood!). Quincy Market is also great if you want to grab a quick bite to eat. Also, close by Faneiul Hall is Tia's (right on the water) and the North End, which is super cute (very European) and has the BEST Italian food! Let me know if you have specific cuisines that you enjoy-- I can think of many more restaurants! Newbury Street also has some amazing dining! Enjoy your trip to Boston! It's a great city! :)