Wednesday, July 23, 2008

More from the Honeymoon: Anacaona

The absolute BEST dining experience of the honeymoon was at Anacaona, a gourmet, ocean front restaurant that a lovely reader suggested before we left on our trip. (Thank you!!!)

Our evening started at the nearby Infiniti Bar, a 90-foot bar that stretches from the Grace Bay Club to the shores of Grace Bay beach. From the website: "The bar features full restaurant service allowing guests to dine under shaded umbrellas with waves lapping at their feet." Breathtaking, right?


Mal and I both enjoyed a martini at the bar. I ordered a cucumber-mint martini (below), which was cool, refreshing, and a tiny bit sweet.


First sip...


Mal ordered his favorite: a dirty vodka martini with extra olives. I had a sip, and it was amazing with the perfect amounts of vodka and olive juice.


One of the Anacaona chefs saw Mal and me sitting at the bar and offered to take a photo for us. His only requirement was that we kiss over the bar! We couldn't pass up an opportunity like that! :)


Honeymooners right before dinner...

This is probably my favorite photo from the honeymoon! :)


We enjoyed a gorgeous sunset while dining...


I'm a sucker for the breadbasket! I'd almost always rather eat a piece of bread (or 2) than order an appetizer, and this night was no different. I had a piece and a half of jalapeƱo-pepper focaccia bread dipped in a little bit of olive oil. Delish!!! I heart bread.


Lucky for us, the chef we met at the Infiniti Bar paid special attention to us while we were dining. He sent out a number of complementary dishes to our table. The first was a light and refreshing lemon sorbet served in a hollowed-out piece of bamboo. Mal loved it! He ate his entire portion and then the majority of mine!


Next up was a sweet, creamy ginger-flavored shot, which was served with a small potato chip. I'm a huge ginger fan, so of course, I loved every single sip of this beverage!


And more "compliments of the chef" dishes...

This appetizer was a huge hit with me! First of all, it was aesthetically pleasing. I love when food has an amazing art-like presentation. It makes it even more fun to eat! The food was also full-flavored and delicious!


Here's the dish up close: grilled blackened jumbo shrimp on top of a wonton-like shell that surrounded another very tender piece of jumbo shrimp, all of which was drizzled with a citrus dressing and a mango-raisin chutney. One word to describe it: to.die.for!!!!!

The star of the meal was my entree: Banana Foster Foie Gras. I probably read the menu description 4 or 5 times before I figured it out, but it sounded so incredibly interesting, I just had to try it.

The bottom layer was a thick piece of banana French toast, topped with a huge sea scallop and a very savory fois gras (duck liver). (I told ya I'd try anything once!) The tower was surrounded by sliced bananas and a sweet berry drizzle. Eating all 3 layers and a slice of banana together was the most amazing taste bud experience ever! There were so many flavors competing in my mouth at once! What a superb dish! I'll be talking about this one for ages!


Dessert was also complements on the chef (he stuffed us!): a warm, rich, gooey chocolate cake served with vanilla ice cream and strawberries. Of course, we loved the "Happy Honeymoon" message written in caramel too! Mal and I were mid-devour when the chef came to our table and asked how we liked the meal. I'm pretty sure he could tell that we throughly enjoyed ourselves! :)

Easily, the most amazing dining experience of my life!

13 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the pic of you two, that's your favorite, should be your Christmas card this year!

Anonymous said...

wow, what a meal :) the setting is spectacular- you guys looks awesome together!!

Allison said...

Your honeymoon looks incredible. It makes me wish I could go on mine again and again!

Christine said...

I don't drink, but the cucumber-mint martini sounds really good!

It's so beautiful how they plated the chocolate cake. Lovely touch!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you can ever go on another vacation again after this one. It sounds like you found perfection.

sweetsandsweats.wordpress.com

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

wow these pictures are awesome! looks like a fab dinner for sure! you make me so excited for my honeymoon.(in, er, a whole year haha)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Breathtaking, indeed - WOW!!

Melanie said...

WOW! All of it looks incredible! What a gorgeous setting! Yes great photo! :-)

Mandee Lei said...

Wow what a beautiful place and delicious looking food! That Banana Foster Foie Gras really did it for me.. mmm! My hubby and I have been married for a little over a year now and still no honeymoon yet but I will definitely be keeping TCI on the top of our list.

Erica said...

Wow! All the food looks incredible! Looks the honeymoon was a blast!

Anonymous said...

I can only say one work...... Jealous!

Anonymous said...

Tina, Did you stay at the Anacaona ?

Tina said...

Bev,

We stayed at the Regent Palms, but the Grace Bay Club was amazing!