Monday, August 11, 2008

Bad Food Blogger

I've been a bad food blogger this evening. I snacked on all sorts of stuff, but didn't take photos. Soooo, in addition to my dinner (photos below), I also ate...
Whew, I feel better now. Glad that I fessed up! :) Ok, now onto what I actually photographed...

We have no fresh food in our apartment. No fruit, no veggies (except for half of an onion), so dinner was, what I call, a "cupboard creation" since all of the ingredients came from our kitchen cabinets. From our cupboards, I combined brown rice, canned pumpkin, garbanzo beans, raisins, sliced almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and onion sauteed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. 


How to:

Combine the following ingredients in a large bowl: 

1 cup brown rice (cooked)
1/2 cup garbanzo beans
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup sliced raisins
1/4 tsp cinnimon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp sugar-free maple syrup

Makes 2 servings


Dinner was surprisingly delicious, and VERY filling! I actually left a few bites in my bowl, which I practically never do. I'm still stuffed, so I don't think I will "need" dessert tonight. 

Wheat Germ

There were a few comments going around today about how to store wheat germ. Just an FYI: Wheat germ must be refrigerated after opening. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this big, obvious instruction on the cap of my jar of wheat germ. I thought it was kind of strange when I had "stomach issues" this morning, but now it makes perfect sense after eating wheat germ last night. Oops! Oh well, I just tossed the jar in the garbage! 

Time to watch the Olympics and hit the hay early. Guess who isn't going to the gym in the morning-- THIS girl! :)

15 Comments:

Nicole said...

Every time I read about your zucchini chocolate chip cookies I want to make them more and more! I think I'll do it tomorrow!

HangryPants said...

I think it's amazing that you can post all your food on a regular basis. I tried once (today) and couldn't do it! I love to see your pantry creations.

Enjoy your rest day tomorrow.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, I LOVE the mixture of ingredients in your "cupboard creation" dish - yum!

Haha, watching the Olympics is worth it!! :0)

Anonymous said...

i love how you can come up with a delicious meal with minimal food in your kitchen. i would probably have ordered pizza. i def. want to try and be more creative and healthy in the kitchen. your such an inspiration!

Caitlin said...

i didn't know that about wheat germ! thanks for the heads up :)

Samantha said...

I always keep wheat germ in the fridge & I have not had a problem with it going rancid (I don't eat it that often so a jar last a long time). Sorry you had a tummy ache today, I hope your feeling better.

Trying To Heal said...

wow, what a creation from the cupboard! i totally would have just gone w/ a tin of soup. LOL...or ordered out. great job!

and good to know about wheat germ...though i never use it...but if i do, i shall remember that!

Anonymous said...

That's my kinda dinner!!!

Anonymous said...

Tina-

those zucchini choc chip cookies look really amazing! just wondering- any guesses on cal content per cookie??

thanks!

Anonymous said...

If I were out of fruits and veggies, you bet I'd be making a special trip to the store. Lack of produce gives me anxiety! Haha. Maybe Em of glidingcalm can relate?!

Anonymous said...

wow what a fantastic meal! so sweet :)

enjoy your day off from the gym!

Anonymous said...

wow, that meal looks terrific! i love combining sweet and savory flavors.

enjoy your day!

Tina said...

Anon,

RecipeZaar estimates each cookie to be 174 calories. http://www.recipezaar.com/253705

Anonymous said...

I don’t think I ever knew that about wheat germ either…

And isn’t it funny how you feel guilty if you haven’t photographed any food. I always feel the need to confess otherwise I feel like I am ‘sneaking food’.

sweetsandsweats.wordpress.com

Alicia said...

You're amazing Tina. My mum still does the cooking in my house. No idea what I will do next year when I get married. Hubby and I will probably alternate b/w the different sets of in-laws. lol