Friday, August 22, 2008

Champagne Brunch

What better way to celebrate a day off?! Our champagne brunch was wonderful-- cheerful, laid-back, and delicious!

We started off brunch with mimosas...


Brunch table, set and ready to go...


For brunch, I made a French Toast Souffle, which sounds pretty fancy, but the recipe is actually very easy to make. The French toast was moist, fluffy, and slightly sweet. It was also SUPER filling! I served myself a smallish serving and had some trouble finishing it-- I fought through and conquered it though! :)

French Toast Souffle
Recipe from One Food Guy

1 large loaf of challah - sliced 1-inch thick
Butter or butter substitute - spread over both sides of the dry sliced bread
8 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons Madagascar vanilla
3 cups low fat milk (Lactaid, plain soy milk or hemp milk okay)
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat together with sugar, vanilla, milk and nutmeg. Spray a 9x12 baking dish with non-stick spray and arrange the buttered challah in the dish. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, cover, and refrigerate over night.

Next day, preheat the oven to 325 degrees.Take the baking dish out of the fridge and uncover. Carefully flip the pieces of bread trying not to break them. You want both sides of the bread to soak up the eggy goodness. Bake for 45 minutes or until browned and puffy. Serve with your favorite toppings like powdered confectioners sugar and maple syrup. Fresh berries compliment the sweet French toast very well. I like mine with fresh raspberries and blackberries.

Here's the French Toast Souffle piping hot right out of the oven... this dish made our apartment smell so incredibly amazing! I wanted to dive right into it as soon as it finished cooking!


My serving with fresh raspberries and maple syrup...


Prior to brunch, I drank an iced coffee with soy milk and ate a bowl of Stonyfield yogurt with peach slices, and half of a Maple Almond Crunch Granola Plank. (Sorry no photo. I was feeling lazy.)


KERF blog dinner tonight! Super excited! Can't wait to meet some Beantown readers! Be back later with a full report!

8 Comments:

Melissa said...

so gorgeous! I thought you were in a restaurant at first. Have fun at dinner, but how could you not?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

What a SPECTACULAR brunch meal!! Love it!!

Ahh, enjoy the KERF blog dinner!! Exciting!! :0)

sloank said...

i love your champagne glasses!! so pretty! brunch looks delicious!

Danielle said...

Brunch looks incredible... have a fabulous time at the KERF dinner! I'm so jealous ;) can't wait for the re-cap!

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks FAB!
Hey come to my website and help me pick dinner at a great restaurant tonight…

http://www.twinsky.wordpress.com

dinner at:

http://www.thedodo.net
thanks!

Caitlin said...

HAVE FUN AT THE KERF DINNER! wish i could be there!

love the mimosas!

Rose said...

I can't get over how great those champagne glasses look! What a great brunch.

Anonymous said...

The french toast looks fabulous!
I make something very similar most sunday mornings... I highly recommend adding a splash of grand marnier for soaking!! ; )