Thursday, August 7, 2008

Good Eats

It's getting late, but I wanted to squeeze in a quick post before I head to bed. (Gym bright and early tomorrow!) Dinner with Josh and Danielle was great-- we enjoyed good food, wine, conversation, and even a semi-pathetic game Trivial Pursuit. (We had a tough time with the Pop Culture edition!)

Our evening started with homemade guacamole and tortilla chips. I loved the guac! It had big chucks of tomatoes and onions in it. Delish!


We also enjoyed a bottle of Red Bicyclette Syrah-- also, delish!


The main course was cilantro chicken with rice, black beans, onions, green peppers, tomatoes, and chillies. Danielle didn't have a name for the dish, but it was awesome! The dish was a little spicy with a ton of flavor, and just a small portion filled me up. On the side of my chicken, rice and beans, I added a big scoop of guacamole.


Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies


With zucchini in season right now, I thought it would be fun to make a zucchini dessert recipe to enjoy after dinner tonight. The Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that I baked is from the book, Animal, Vegetable Miracle... which I highly recommend. :)

The cookies came out wonderfully! They're very moist, soft, and sweet-- and while you can see the strands of zucchini, you can't taste it at all. I've probably eaten 4 or 5 of these babies tonight!


ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

(Makes about two dozen)

1 egg, beaten
1⁄2 cup butter, softened
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
Combine in large bowl.

1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp nutmeg
Combine in a separate, small bowl and blend into liquid mixture

1 cup finely shredded zucchini (a cheese grater works great!)
12 oz chocolate chips

Stir these into other ingredients, mix well. Drop by spoonful onto greased baking sheet, and flatten with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350°, 10 to 15 minutes.

14 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You look amazing in that red bikini!I wish my body looked like yours,and I wish that I had the confidence to even wear one!
Do you realize your body is hot?
I don't mean to sound obnoxious or rude-it's just that woman tend to not appreciate themselves,and as a fellow female I have to say you have a gorgeous body!(more importantly you are obviously very intelligent!!!)
Any beginner advice on first steps to deal with my obese body and deflated spirit?I feel so overweight as if there is no hope for me to ever escape this !
Thanks for any pep talk, Lorri

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oh my, that guacamole looks AMAZING!!

Trying To Heal said...

omg! chocolate chip cookies with zucchini!!?!?!? sounds so funny, but so good!!!! does it make them moist or change the flavor very much!?

Jessica said...

Those cookies look great (the whole meal does)! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Would Danielle share her cilantro chicken one with us?

Anonymous said...

Those cookies looks great... and who can resist the guac?

Samantha said...

Thanks for the cookie recipe, I have a ton of zucchini that I need to use before it goes bad. I already made muffins & hummus I think those cookies might be next. I might even get my son to eat them if they are choc. chip. Glad you had such a nice time with you friends. Happy Friday!!

Caitlin said...

lorri -

don't give up! take one step at a time! my advice to you is to wake up each day and consider each meal a 'new' chance to make a healthy choice. little changes like getting a side of veggies instead of fries at lunch can make a big difference. keep reading healthy food blogs like tina's and learn from their meals!

and start moving! you dont have to go balls to the wall at the gym, just try to move a little extra each day.

my best advice to you is understand that you will feel emotional benefits to eating healthy and exercising BEFORE you see physical ones, and that's GREAT! be PROUD of yourself for getting veggies instead of fries, be PROUD of yourself for walking around the block, even if you're out of breath by the time you get home. then, losing weight will just be an added bonus to the joy you experience from treating your body like a temple :)

good luck and keep us all updated on your journey!

Amanda said...

Tina,
The cookies look great! I read in last nights Q&A that you are still trying to lose weight. What is your goal?

Quinn said...

Such a fun dinner with neighbors! And very cool cookies. I love zucchini bread, I love chocolate chip cookies, so why not a combo? Will be sampling that recipe soon.

Oh, and something is wrong with my blog. I've contacted Blogger, but have yet to receive a response. In the meantime, you can access new posts through the archive page. It's a pain, but it works.

http://dailymoderation.blogspot.com/2008/08/change-in-breakfast.html

Tina said...

Lorri,

Caitlin had some really amazing advice in the comment that she left below. I also want to add that setting goals for myself helps me feel good. Even just small goals-- like being active 3 days a week or eating fruit for breakfast is a great way to boost your self-confidence. Also, feel free to check out the "Weight Loss" section of my blog-- there are lots tips and little things (ex: buying health and fitness magazine) that can really motivate you. Trust me, you can do it! :) Please email me if you have any specific questions.

Jessica,

I'll ask Danielle about the cilantro chicken recipe tonight. I'd like to have it too!

Caitlin,

Wonderful advice!!!

Amanda,

I have been at my goal weight for a couple of years now. I'm not currently trying to lose weight-- just maintaining.

Quinn,

How strange about your blog! I tried accessing it this morning, and I got an error message. Weird. I hope Blogger fixes it ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Caitlin and Tina for your thoughtful words and ideas.I am at a low point where it all seems impossible but I know that it is a mindset I have to modify.
Being overweight has affected everything in life for me-no relationship,will never ever get in a swimsuit and fear of SO many other things too.It seems such a selfish problem compared to so many other problems around the world.
I feel like I am so stuck.Thanks for sharing some rays of hope,
Lorri

Caitlin said...

lorri- where do you live, just out of curiousity?

it helps if you can get a work out partner!

i feel for you, i hope you find a path to healthy living. it's not always easy, but nothing in life that is worth having is easy. and when you reach your goal, you will feel so strong!

tina, great advice on setting small goals instead of one large one! you want to be able to obtain them!

im coaching a coworker through her weight loss journey (she had about 30 lbs to lose and is about 12 lbs in) and we established mini-rewards for every 5 or 10 lbs lost. like at the 10 lb mark, she got a pedicure and manicure, and at the 15 lbs mark, she'll go buy new workout clothes. she says its motivating!

Anonymous said...

I just found the post after your lunch post with the summer salad (fruit and veg).... I'll have to make the cookies, I think I can veganize them. Do you know how long they keep? It'd be great to freeze some...

Jessica said...

Tina, I LOVE your cookies! I just made them yesterday and had three for breakfast with skim hazelnut coffee. I reduced the butter in the recipe by half and replaced the other half with canola oil. They are so good, thanks for the recipe and idea!

http://johnstonesvinblanc.blogspot.com/2008/08/zucchini-rocks.html