Thursday, August 7, 2008

Things I Love: Farmer's Markets and Sundaes

I love shopping at farmer's markets. There's just something about them. I love the variety of foods, colors, smells, and people... the market is always changing and new, each and every time you go. It's also so cool to have access to incredibly fresh, locally-produced produce as well as other goodies like fresh flowers and herbs. It is a playground for foodies!


This afternoon, I stopped by the farmer's market at Brigham Circle. It's a relatively small farmer's market, but you can get just about everything you want... plus a few items that you didn't even know you wanted!


I really believe in the concept of eating with the seasons. I don't always chose foods that are in-season, but I would like to start making a more conscious effort with my shopping (obviously, reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle has inspired me!) As you know, eating local, in-season produce has a variety of benefits for your health as well as perks for your local community, the economy, and the environment.

Summer Fruits and Vegetables

  • Beets
  • Blackberries
  • Blueberries
  • Broccoli
  • Cherries
  • Corn
  • Cucumbers
  • Eggplant
  • Green Beans
  • Nectarines
  • Peaches
  • Plums
  • Raspberries
  • Summer Squash
  • Tomatoes
  • Watermelon
  • Zucchini

To find a farmer's market near you, go to www.localharvest.com.

For the locals (and my NEU buddy), here's the info about the farmer's market in Brigham Circle...

Mission Hill Farmer's Market
Thursdays, 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Late June to end of October
Brigham Circle, intersection of Huntington and Tremont


And now onto lunch...

My lunch was chicken stir-fry leftovers-- nothing too exciting to report about my leftovers, except maybe that they were surprisingly delicious not reheated.


The cold veggies were crunchy and lightly flavored with soy sauce-- just the way I like 'em! I also had some sliced strawberries with peanut butter and chocolate chips mixed in.


Best of Both Worlds

There was an Ice Cream Social at work today-- complete with 4 flavors of ice cream, hot fudge, caramel, and lots of fun toppings. I usually partake in such activities, but because I made the effort to bring a healthy snack to work, I thought I might as well eat it. Plus, I wasn't really in the mood for ice cream (I know, shocking). The toppings are what I like best about ice cream sundaes, so I decided to combine my healthy snack with a few goodies from the Ice Cream Social.


To my Fage Greek Yogurt, I added crushed Oreo cookies, chocolate sprinkles, walnuts, and a spoonful of peanut butter (that I melted in the microwave). My Fage sundae was almost as good as a regular ice cream sundae! :)


Our new neighbors are cooking Mal and me dinner tonight! I have no idea what's on the menu, but I am looking forward to it! Be back later tonight!

22 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, a "playground for foodies," indeed!!

Strawberries with peanut butter chips & chocolate chips mixed in?!?!?! Heavenly!!!

Sounds like a nice dinner coming up tonight - have fun!!

Anonymous said...

even when i'm totally exhausted, drained and really sweaty and smelly from my long runs, i always make it to my farmers market on saturday morning. i'm addicted!!

Quinn said...

I love the farmer's market. The produce is sooo amazing, and in many cases way cheaper than the grocery and going to local farmers. It totally makes my Saturday when I get to go!

Anonymous said...

Farmer's markets are so exciting, and since I rarely get the opportunity to get to ours, it's always extra special when I do go!

Love the Fage sundae, what a great idea! I'll keep that in mind when I want a semi indulgent treat but still want to keep it on the healthier side!

Tami said...

that's a great idea with the yogurt, i am going here after dinner.....http://www.kellerhaus.com/

Tony said...

oooo, ice cream social. Yum Yum! I probably wouldn't have passed on the ice cream, but that yogurt combination looks quite tasty as well.

Anonymous said...

I've been craving a little kids' ice cream social too! I just wouldn't want to buy all those ingredients myself - I need someone to host it!

Great idea with the Fage - meet healthy in the middle :)

Fitnessista said...

i love the fage sundae- great idea!!!
i've been wanting to go to a local food market.. you've inspired me to actually wake up a little early this saturday to make it down there :)
have fun at dinner tonight!

Anonymous said...

I think I'll be hitting that farmers market, um, all the time. It's a lot closer to me than I thought! 27 days..!

HangryPants said...

This isn't food related, but does anyone know what kind of flowers those are in the background of the second farmer's market picture? They look like large multicolored daisies, but I've never seen anything like it.

Tina, Sundaes. Clearly you work in heaven! Good for you for sticking with the toppings.

- Heather

Anonymous said...

That so funny tonight I was going to go get some froyo but decided to make my own with greek yogurt and a BUNCH of add ins... fruit, carob chips, granola, and walnuts and i felt so much less bloated after!

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone. i jsust wanted to say how inspirational this blog is for me. it inspired me to start my own. please check it out for support. i would greatly appreciate it!!! hope everyone has as awesome night!!
http://strongdeterminedhealthy.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

what a great way to treat yourself to the ice cream social!

Anonymous said...

haha I loved this post! Thanks for posting the list of summer fruits! I definitely get in the blueberries, tomatoes, zuchinni, cucumbers, and watermelon.

And greek yogurt IS almost as good as sundaes. Especially a little sweetened. You are so inspiring to have not been tempted and to have just stuck with your plan. That's AWESOME.

Have a great night Tina!

Anonymous said...

Hangry Pants,

The flowers in question look like sunflowers to me. They grow in many different sizes and colors - beautiful, and they make a stunning and unusual arrangement. Last a good long time too.

Danielle said...

New neighbors cooking dinner... can't wait to hear how it goes!

P.S. Thanks for the template tip, I tried it for a few hours :) and then I decided on something else, ha, I'm so indecisive. I appreciated the help though!

HangryPants said...

Sorry, I meant the 4th picture. They do look like sunflowers, but have more than one color on one flower. Sunflowers?

Samantha said...

Farmers markets are so great - I love the sea of beautiful colors from all the fresh fruits & veggies!! I like the yogurt sundae idea - I just might have to partake in something like that next time I need a sweet fix. I hope you have a great night with your neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

Yep, 4th post looks like sunflowers as well. The two buckets to the right display the larger type of sunflowers. The other buckets to the left are smaller versions. They do look similar to Gerbera Daisies, but their dark centers are more in line with sunflowers. And yes, they vary in color, size, even two or three different colors in one bloom.

Caitlin said...

that fage looks AWESOME. thanks for spreading the news about farmers markets!

Protea said...

We sometimes head to the 'neighbourhood goods market' on saturdays. They not only have fresh produce but unusual stuff too, like the most beautiful tofu, cakes, fresh organic coffee, pizzas, sadwiches, arts and crafts, flowers, herbs, packs of new powders for smoothies, you name it. Or actaully they wil still suprise you! Pictues: http://www.neighbourgoodsmarket.co.za/snapshots/summer-2008/
d

Erica said...

Ah! That farmers market looks incredible! Good for you for making the mart decision on the sundae bar!