Monday, August 18, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Bars

Yum! Even Mal liked these Oatmeal Raisin Bars! Usually, he thinks my baked goods taste "too healthy," which is sometimes true (usually my recipes don't have enough fat and sugar for his liking), but tonight, I finally made a healthy non-healthy-tasting treat! 


Oatmeal Raisin Bars
Makes 9 bars

Ingredients:

2 cups dry oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raisins

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. 
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients until smooth. 
3. Spread batter in prepared baking pan, and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until bars are cooked all the way through.
4. Let bars cool completely in pan before cutting.


Hot and fresh right out of the oven...


Dinner


Dinner tonight was a open-face BLT with ground pepper and a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, snap peas, red onions, almond slices, and a scoop of Claire's relish. All of those veggies filled me right up! 


Dinner from above with iced water...


Time for some reading in bed. I'm sleeping in tomorrow! Yay! :)

12 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, Oatmeal Raisin Bars?!?!?!?! FABULOUS!!

Enjoy sleeping in tomorrow!! You deserve it after the crazy-busy day you had today, for sure.

Lauren said...

Haha... my fiance says the same thing about some of my healthy cookies/muffins/breads. He refers to them as "Laurenized" or "Breeckerized " (Breecker is my last name) baked goods. He's coming around to developing a taste for healthy foods though! I will definitely have to try these bars...I LOVE your pumpkin muffins, so I'm sure these will be awesome too.

HangryPants said...

I love tricking friends and family with healthy baked goods and these will definitely do the trick. Thanks for the recipe.

Heather

Caitlin said...

have a good sleep! those cookies look amazing :D

Erica said...

mmmm the bars look delicious! I love oat based bars! Glad you get to sleep in today- enjoy it!

Samantha said...

Tina,
The bars sound really yummy. Do you think reducing the oil would make them come out a bit too dry? I tend to use less oil and add some natural applesauce - what do you think would work for this recipe? I think my husband would eat these too. Thanks!! I hope you are well rested in the AM.

Lauren said...

Sammie,
I often make the same substitution for muffins and breads. When it comes to cookies, it hasn't always worked to use applesauce in place of oil, but maybe it would if you prefer soft to crunchy cookies. I'm also currently loving "Evaporated cane juice" (found it at Whole Foods) in place of sugar in recipes - it looks like sugar, but is less refined. It's worth a try!

Samantha said...

Thanks Lauren, I will look for Evaporated Cane Juice next time I go to WF.

Tina said...

Lauren,

LOVE your evaporated cane juice idea! Thank you!

Erica said...

Totally made these tonight :) Posting about it later!! You're the best!

Anonymous said...

Those bars may be the first thing that has seemed appetizing to me all day. Now if only I could get the husband to make them for me.

healthy ashley said...

So I finally made these bars. To mine I added two soft bananas and one scoop of vanilla protein powder. Mine are probably thicker than yours, but they are GOOD! Thanks for posting this recipe! :)