Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Out with the Old, In with the New

Sleeping in this morning was amazing! It was one of those cool, breezy mornings when your bed feels oh-so-comfortable. I had a little trouble getting out of bed, but I was well-rested, so it really didn't take that much effort. I have plans to go to the gym after work today. I'm curious to see how crowded (and insane) the gym is at that hour!

Breakfast this morning was a bowl of pumpkin-raisin oat bran. I just opened our package of raisins this morning, so they were super soft and sweet. I added tons to my bowl of oat bran.


Today's bowl:

1/3 cup dry oat bran
1/2 cup of canned pumpkin
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup raisins
1 tsp sugar-free maple syrup


As always, iced coffee to go... today's was extra special though-- no Splenda! I've been trying to cut back over the past few months, and I think I am finally there. I'm not saying that I will never, ever have Splenda again (I'm on the fence about it), but it is an artificial substance, and I'd much rather have it every now and then, instead of everyday in my coffee. I added 2 tsp of Sugar in the Raw to my iced coffee (as well as Silk Soy Creamer), and it added more sweetness than I thought it would. I think I am finally getting used to it.


We don't have a single packet of Splenda in our apartment!


Packing Lunch/Snacks

I received an email from a reader the other day asking me about my lunches and how I pack them. If it's helpful, I will start posting my transportable lunches and snacks on the blog-- perhaps they will give you guys some ideas.

Today lunch is leftovers from last night's dinner along with a Larabar. My afternoon snack is a container of cottage cheese and sliced strawberries that I prepared last night when I packed up my leftovers. I find that doing it all at once (when cleaning up from dinner) is much easier than waiting to the end of the night or the next morning-- I'm never motivated then.


Question of the Day

What was the BEST meal you have ever eaten (at restaurant or home)?

Me: On my honeymoon at Anacaona! I want to go back to that night!

14 Comments:

Kelly said...

Best meal would definitely have to be at the Green Zebra in Chicago. The flavors were so well balanced an innovative that I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I was there on business and was actually eating alone, which in that case was good because I was really able to savor things and linger over the flavors. Mmmmm.

arielle said...

I love raisins in oatmeal. I hardly ever eat oatmeal, but when I do, I can't have it without them.

My best meal ever was at Asia de Cuba here. And now I can't stop thinking about it.

Quinn said...

I can't say I have absolutely one favorite meal out -- and I love dining in new cities because you always get a different experience.

Probably in the top ten best meals was at the Hot Tin Roof in Key West. My senior year of college, my friends parents sailed us on their yacht there (yea, I know --- I piggybacked on vacations with friends like this), and took us out to the most amazing meals. At Hot Tin Roof, they give you the little flashlight keychains like you had on your honeymoon to read the menu. I had Macadamia Crusted Grouper with Tropical Relish. Mmmm...what I would do for that dish again.

Also, love Sugar in the Raw. The fiance's family lives on the stuff and really turned me onto it.

Anonymous said...

My dear husband would eat up that bowl of pumpkin in a flash!

And hands down my fav meal out is sushi.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for sleeping in, and for pumpkin-raisin oat bran!! :0)

Best meal ever eaten = the Raw Zucchini & Roma Tomato Lasagna at Pure Food & Wine in NYC.

Olga said...

Hmm...best meal ever? I am in between clam chowder at Legal Seafoods in Boston (served at the last eight presidential inaugurations!) and this shrimp and pasta dish in lobster sauce I randomly had in a Miami Raddisson hotel.

P.S. I have a can of pumpkin in my fridge and no can opener in my house! I have no clue where it went. Your breakfast tells me to go buy another one, so I can enjoy it =]

Simple and Divine said...

OMG I have absolutely NO idea... hahaha. It would be a toss-up between Le Bec Fin (Philadelphia), Barton G's for the presentation (!!! So FABBBULOUS and original (and FUN!)), Wildfire + Cafe Sydney (Sydney, Australia)... I could never decide!

Embarrassingly enough though, my fave meal = Whole Foods Salad Bar during the week while at work! (I work at WF hours: 2pm-10:30pm... Dinner = salad bar heaven heehehe).

THANKS FOR COMMENTING ON MY BLOG! I WAS ECSTATIC!!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU TOOK THE TIME TO READ M.Y. B.L.O.G.!!! :) :) :)

Rosiecat24 said...

Tina, I'm so happy to see you ditching the Splenda! Good for you.

When it comes to lunch, I'm a dedicated brown-bagger. I do think it's worth the effort to try to eat home-cooked meals at work. The trick is to find meal options that keep well and travel well. I eat soup for many of my work lunches because it's such an easy way to make sure I get some vegetables into that meal. And with soup, you can make it more or less decadent as you see fit. I love vegetable soups, but sometimes you just need to indulge in a luscious, creamy soup. Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Fitnessista said...

i'm trying to get the splenda totally out of my house too... i'm down to 1 pack a day though haha

that pumpkin-raisin oatmeal looks amazing! i'll have to give that one a try :)

the best meal i've ever had was definitely at circa 1922 in wilmington, nc. they had amazing oysters and the best salmon i've ever tasted.

Anonymous said...

About a month ago for our 2nd wedding anniversary, my husband and I went to a local restaurant here in Portland, Fife. Over 90% of what they serve comes from farms within 100 miles. We did a six course chef's tasting and mine was completely vegetarian, per my request. It was nice to know we were having a completely unique meal on our special day. Portland has great restaurants, but this was by far the best dining experience ever.

One Food Guy said...

Oh, man. Best meal ever? Maybe at Babbo in NYC, or maybe at The Estate House at Jumby Bay in Antigua.

And I might have to include Winfield's on Block Island - was just there last month and it was AMAZING! Wild Boar with swiss chard, cream leaks and cannelini beans.

AlwaysJoy said...

Hmmmm best meal ever?
I would say it is one of 3:

the vegetarian shepard's pie my mother in law made me because it was an old comfort food and I missed it since being a veg.

My mom's bread pudding - I often ate this as a meal simply because it has all the good stuff in it (minus veggies)

And lastly my mom's banana bread with ice cream sandwich - could be that I am missing my mom today but those are the favorites

Unknown said...

one that i'm still talking about was amazing, somewhere in northern california... incredible fresh fish, hand-cut fries, and even though we were stuffed the blackberry cobbler!! washed down with the local anchor steam... yum:)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on lowering your Splenda intake! It's actually made from chlorine and has no place in a healthy diet. Have you tried Stevia? A tiny bit goes a LONG way. It's a different kind of sweetness but one that comes from a plant and does not raise insulin levels.