Thursday, September 11, 2008

Canned and Frozen Foods

As you can see, our food situation is bleak....

(Our kitchen cupboards look pathetically similar.) 


Despite coming from a can, dinner was rather awesome tonight. We purchased a can of Amy's Organic Chili months ago, but never got around to eating it. (I actually forgot we even had it.) Tonight, it was finally put to good use! I portioned-out about half of the can (1 cup), added my own hot sauce, heated in the microwave, and then topped with shredded cheddar. I was surprisingly wowed by this meal! I love when meals unexpectedly come together. 


On the side, I had some Kashi TLC crackers (Fire Roasted Vegetable flavor), which I used to scoop up the chili. 



With zero options for dessert, I decided to defrost a piece of our leftover wedding cake. (Not the top layer, but leftovers from the reception.) The cake is a zesty lemon flavor with strawberry filling and covered in a creamy, buttery frosting. It was almost as delicious as our wedding day! :)


It is most definitely bedtime for me! I spent almost 2 hours reading, studying, and making flashcards tonight. I haven't been a student in years, and my brain needs to seriously step it up! 

12 Comments:

Laura said...

Hey, I just started following your blog and wanted wish you luck as you work toward your new goal!
Amy's is my absolute favorite brand for canned/frozen foods. I have loved almost everything I've tried.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Amy's meals to the rescue! :0)

Get the extra zzz's you need, Tina!!

Anonymous said...

I've heard that chili is amazing. :) Looks yum!

Caitlin said...

ooo leftover cake! excellent! how do you keep the frostbite off it?

Trying To Heal said...

oh, i love amy's chili..i have a can myself that i've been meaning to use! glad you enjoyed it!

and yay for wedding cake!!!

HangryPants said...

Aw what a fun way to relive the wedding!

Deb said...

I have MAJOR FRIDGE ENVY!!!!!!! Argh, how can you have 8 items in there? I have about 800- it's maddening! I would LOVE to par down, but it's physically impossible. And you should SEE my pantry!!! You can literally feel the country of Somalia for a year from it!! :-D

Jennifer said...

Hey - I work with your friend Jon Defreest. He introduced your blog to a bunch of us and we all love it! (Myself included). In fact, you inspired me to start my own! (www.creativeconfectionery.blogspot.com if you're interested :))

Either way - your blog is great! Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Hahahha. I love that you ate wedding cake :)

Anonymous said...

That chili looks so good, I would have never guessed it was from a can!


Yay for wedding cake!

Anonymous said...

My fridge is starting to reach that point too. I love how it forces the more creative food juices to flow though. You made a great meal!

I just got the chance to read your post about the career change too so I have to say CONGRATS. I think it's an awesome and totally enviable idea for you to go and follow what you're really into, making such a drastic change in your life. BEST of luck with it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina. I read your blog all the time but have never posted before. After reading that you had some leftover cake for dessert, I went back to your post about your wedding cake design...turns out I had the same cake (pink and green) from Jacques for my wedding.