Monday, September 8, 2008

Monday, Monday

Where did the weekend go!? I can't believe that I am already back at my desk at work! Blah. Let's hope this week flies by! (I have a feeling it will!)

I bounded out of bed this morning-- I was jazzed for a good workout! At the gym, I took a 30-minute Bosu Express class, followed by a 30-minute strength training class, and then I used a foam roller on my tight hamstrings, and stretched for another 10-15 minutes. The combo of foam rolling and stretching made my hamstrings feel a million times better! They were so incredibly tight!

More info about foam rollers:

The What and How of Form Body Rollers

Foam Roller Exercises for Easing Tight Muscles


Video from Diet.com

Foam Rolling for Runners


Breakfast this morning was the usual: Kashi instant oatmeal with banana slices and peanut butter. (Sorry my breakfasts have been so boring lately!) I also grabbed a sweetened iced coffee with soy milk from Starbucks. Breakfast with my Sigg full of H2O...


Question of the Day

What book/article has changed your outlook on healthy living?

Me: I have read lots of books that have changed my outlook for the better! My top choices are Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food and Barbar Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. They both opened my eyes to the importance of eating whole, natural, and local foods as much as possible. I'm currently reading Marion Nestle's What to Eat, which will probably be added to this list as well. It's been great so far!

------------------

And the much-requested Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe:
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8 oz ranch dressing
  • 6-10 oz Purdue Short Cuts chicken (chopped into small pieces)
  • 6-8 oz Frank's Red Hot
Combine ingredients in large bowl, transfer to baking dish, and cook on 350*F for 25-30 minutes.
------------------

Buffalo Chicken Dip - Lower Fat Option
From Crissy, a reader
  • 1 1/3 less fat brick of cream cheese
  • 8 oz reduced fat cheddar
  • 8 oz Maries low fat blue cheese (that good dressing that is usually found in the produce area of your grocery store)
  • 1 10 oz. can chicken (found by the tuna, I usually buy Valley something...)
  • 1/2-3/4 of the bottle of Frank's Red Hot BUFFALO SAUCE (not the normal hot sauce)
Toss all ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes, stir, then microwave for another 3 minutes. I usually serve them with Baked Tostitos Scoops. Still not the healthiest recipe, but I feel less guilty.

25 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Has anyone been able to find the Nestle Peanut Butter and Milk Chocolate Morsels anywhere? I have looked all over and can't find them anywhere! They seem to have disappeared. Thanks!

Tina said...

Kat,

I believe that Stop & Shop and Shaws sells them. Has anyone found them elsewhere?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I too hope that next weekend arrives quickly!!

**The books that have changed my outlook on healthy living:

- "Self Healing Colitis & Crohns" by David Klein

- "Raw Food Real World" by Matthew Kenney and Sarma Melngailis

Crissy said...

I don't usually ever leave comments on these blogs, just one of those crazy readers out there but I thought I would share with you all that I make the Buffalo Dip recipe and always try to cut the fat. so here is my version

1 1/3 less fat brick of cream cheese
8 oz reduced fat cheddar
8 oz Maries low fat blue cheese (that good dressing that is usually found in the produce area of your grocery store)
1 10 oz. can chicken (found by the tuna, I usually buy Valley something...)
1/2-3/4 of the bottle of Frank's Red Hot BUFFALO SAUCE (not the normal hot sauce)

I usually serve them with baked tostitos scoops. Still not the healthiest recipe, but I feel less guilty. (and my boyfriend can not even tell it's made with lowfat stuff).

Tina said...

Crissy,

Awesome recipe! Do you mind if I post your low-fat recipe on my blog? It'd be nice to have both dip options available to readers.

Crissy said...

sure thing no problem. I forgot to mention to just toss all those ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes, stir, then microwave for another 3 minutes.

It makes a decent amount, but if you were to bring it to a party with a lot of people, I reccomend doubling the recipe. Or I am just a crazy italian who only knows of large portions.

arielle said...

I loved both of Michael Pollan's books...I don't always follow the rules, but I do my best. My favorite is to try and think about what my grandmother would say.

Tina said...

Arielle,

Right on! I agree 100% with your comment! :)

Bridget said...

I was actually trying to think of a lower calorie version...and now don't have to! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such energy this morning! And thanks for sharing that dip recipe!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

I just got "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and I can't wait to read it. "In Defense of Food" seriously changed my life.

Kat- I found the pb + chocolate morsels in the BAKING aisle of my market..

and am I the ONLY one that doesn't like buffalo anything?

HangryPants said...

I am currently reading In Defnese of Food and it's been a great eye opening experience. I highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch really changed my life with regards to being healthy. It taught me that I am the one that knows best for me, not the latest diet trend. And after putting it's principles into practice, I am slowly but surely developing a healthier body along with a healthier realtionship with food.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the foam rollers. I have the world's tightest hamstrings (despite a lot of stretching) that results in serious lower back pain. I had never heard of using a foam roller to try to loosen them up. Thanks for the suggestion! I am going to try it.

Unknown said...

I lvoe the nancy clark sport nutrition guidbook because it really helped me to change the way i was looking at food and what its purpose was. I love the recipes and the explination behind everythign!

Anonymous said...

I was inspired by your buffalo sauce obsession and bought some over the weekend :)

Andrea of Care to Eat said...

Yay for foam rolling! It's something I learned from my trainer and that alone was worth the $$ - I foam roll my legs and butt before I strength train no matter if I do upper or lower. I also have one at home, but I'm not as good at doing it every day. I love it because it keeps me from getting painfully sore.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book Super Foods Fourteen Foods that will change your Life by Steven G. Pratt, M.D. and Kathy Matthews.

A Life Less Complicated said...

Love your blog - adding it to my blog roll :) I have the same pretty cup from Starbucks... I haven't been back in a while...love the iced caramel macchiato way, way too much!

Anonymous said...

I just finished What To Eat and it was fantastic! It was very interesting to learn the politics behind the food/grocery industry. She has a previous book called Food Politics that I am going to read next. Also, I could never be a runner without a foam roller! ;-)

Unknown said...

ooooh, wish i had a foam roller today i am soooo tight!

lots of good reading i have to do :)

Lauren said...

Pollan's books The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food are great reads! I like Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle even more... these two authors have really inspired me. I'm adding What to Eat to my list!

Anonymous said...

How come you have been eating less than you used too? Your whole day comes to like 1000 calories- why half a sandwich? It makes me sad to see- you used to be the most balanced blogger around!

Tina said...

Anon,

1,000 calories? You know me better than that-- I EAT! When I estimate, I get closer to 1,800. What you don't see is 2 big scoops of peanut butter at breakfast, Barney Butter with my roll, and a Oatmeal Raisin Bar that I sampled when they came out of the oven.

Tina said...

Anon,

I also had half a piece of toast with peanut butter before the gym yesterday morning! :)