Thursday, September 18, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

I can't tell you the last time I've eaten shepherd's pie. Well, it was awhile ago. I was jazzed when Mal suggested making it tonight with ground turkey instead of beef, and I am still shocked that we had a can of corn. (FYI: Shepherd's pie is traditionally ground beef, mashed potatoes, and corn.) 


I have to admit, I've missed this easy-to-make comfort food. I forgot just how much I enjoyed eating it.

My portion... 


Mal and I both had one of those days when you need a beer. Danielle was kind enough to bring a couple of Killian's down for us to enjoy. TGIT! 


Dessert was the same as last night: Puffins and peanut butter chocolate chips. I actually considered eating some of our leftover, stale wedding cake for dessert, but I decided to just toss the rest of it in the garbage. It was in no shape to be eaten. (I hope this was the only time ever, in my entire life, that I throw away cake.)


I was hungry when I got home from work-- probably because my lunch was kind of pathetic. Mal was running late after work, so I made myself a snack of Kashi crackers and a spoonful of balsamic sweet onion jam to hold me over. It was an interesting combination of flavors. 



If you can't tell from my post, my brain is in slow motion tonight. Time to give it a break. Good night! 

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Shepard's pie! Yum! Those Irish know what's up (you can guess my heritage)!
I hope you wake up to a beautiful day. Sorry today was kind of all over the place! Night night!

HangryPants said...

That balsamic sweet onion jam looks really good. I am going to look for it at Stop & Shop next trip. Hope you have a good night and tomorrow, which is FRIDAY!

Nicole said...

My brain was so slow today as well. I hope tomorrow is better for ya!

Sweet onion jam sounds really tasty!

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed dinner, and of course a beer :)

My brain is already in Friday mode, so I totally feel ya on the "slow motion."

Have a great night!

Laura said...

That is absolutely comfort food. And I know what you mean about sometimes just needing a beer. :)

Simple and Divine said...

Trina Girl, that din looks AWESOMELY delish!!! FAB. :)

Trying To Heal said...

glad you got to enjoy your shepard's pie! i love veggie versions of it!

and i feel you on the slow brain today...i think mine might have been dead. :_)

Anonymous said...

Balsamic sweet onion jam sounds good! And believe it or not, I never knew what shepherd's pie was until I read your post.

teresa said...

I've been spending ALOT of time reading your blog lately and you've given me great inspiration and ideas for eating healthier!

And I thought about your site while I was grocery shopping a few days ago. I saw a really tasty looking Sweet & Hot Jalapeno Relish at my local mega-mart. I am kicking myself for not picking it up.....but I was not entirely sure what to do with it. I've been putting jalapenos on everything lately! I'm sure I can find something to do with it, so I'm getting it next time I go.

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh, how many of us had shepherd's pie last night? Too funny!

Anonymous said...

You should try shepherds pie with tomato paste on the meat and mixed up and baked. Adds a little flavor!

Anonymous said...

WOW, your photos are SOO MUCH better in 2009!!!