Friday, February 29, 2008

TGI Fridays

My friend and I had lunch at TGI Friday's this afternoon. I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, but out of convenience (it's a 5 minute walk away) and having a $5 off coupon, we decided to eat there. I ordered the Cedar-Seared Salmon on Field Greens (with honey mustard on the side) from their "Right Portion, Right Price" menu. The portion size was perfect. I ate almost the whole salad, minus a few pieces of lettuce. I was full, but not at all stuffed. The food quality was poor and not super tasty, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It was a nice, relaxing lunch with good company, but in my opinion, TGI Friday's is mediocre and overpriced for what you are getting.

While I am not much of a fan of TGI Fridays, I think they deserve some credit for their “Right Portion, Right Price” menu. Their menu gives customers the option of being served smaller entreés when they dine out. We all know that cutting back on portion sizes is one of the best strategies for losing or maintain one's weight. With Americans eating out so frequently, I think it is beneficial for diners to have a large selection of healthier, portion-controlled options. At least it's a start in the battle against obesity. Hopefully, this will become a trend in other restaurants as well.


The salmon looked delicious, but it tasted "off."


After lunch, I had 3 Reese's peanut butter cups and a mug of Refresh tea.


My afternoon snack was a packet of plain instant oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter and a honey orange, which is a new fruit for me. I'm full after the oatmeal, so I'll have to try the honey orange later.


Salmon salad: ~500 (according to TGI Friday's website)
3 Reese PB cups: 125
Lunch total: 625

1 packet oatmeal: 100
1 tbsp PB: 95
Snack total: 195

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I read your post then came across this coupon for the Right Portion, Right Price.

http://www.tgifridays.com/08RPRP_lunch_home.htm

Cheers!