Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Baking My Blues Away

As soon as I got home from work, I turned on some music and started baking. My brain hurt from the massive strain placed on it today; I just wanted to mindlessly follow directions, mix ingredients, and sing to myself. Mal had a haircut and some errands to run after work, so I had a good 90 minutes all to myself, cooking, singing, and vegging out. I think my baking mini-marathon helped me destress a little.

Pumpkin Carob Chip Muffins


Makes 12 muffins or approximately 26 mini muffins

1 cup plain canned pumpkin
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tbsp. ground flax seed
1 tsp. vanilla
1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2/3 cup vegan carob chips

Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Spray a nonstick muffin tin sprayed well with nonstick spray, or line the tin with paper muffin cups and spray the cups with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Put the pumpkin, water, canola oil, ground flax seed, and vanilla in a blender and process on high for at least one minute, until light in color and well-blended. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the pumpkin mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon or large spatula until well-blended. Fold in the carob chips.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, distributing evenly.

Bake until center of muffin is fully cooked (10-12 minutes). Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then use a spatula to gently lift each muffin from the muffin tin. Finish cooling on a wire rack.



Banana Baked Oatmeal

My second baking project was Kath's Banana Baked Oatmeal. It looked and smelled soooo good when I took it out of the oven; both Mal and I were drooling-- I'm not sure who is more excited about eating it for breakfast tomorrow! I'm off to divide this up and pack it in Tupperware, so we can just reheat it tomorrow morning.


P.S. Idol fans: How adorable is David Archuleta?!?

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum!! Hope you like the oatmeal :)

arielle said...

Did you make that muffin recipe up?? If so, you're a genius. It sounds so good, and I never know how to wing it when I'm baking. It seems so exact.

Anonymous said...

Those muffins sound divine. I am definitely going to have to try that recipe

Anonymous said...

airmcg,

I wish I made up that recipe, but I found it on another blog, but I did make a few modifications to it. These babies are really delicious... I've already eaten 3!

Anonymous said...

Wow those muffins sound delicious! As does the baked oatmeal, I can't wait to try baking oatmeal. =)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

ahh, baking - my FAVORITE stress-reliever, for sure.

pumpkin CAROB chip muffins?!!??! you saved one for me, right?? ;0)

Melanie said...

Nothing destresses like baking does! This is another great blog recipe I have to try soon! (I could use the destressing) :)

Anonymous said...

Baking totally helps me to unwind too. Ahhhh. Nothing like seeing something come from a few simple ingredients in about an hour. So gratifying!

And that David A. He's so so so sweet!

Anonymous said...

wow you had a fun night of baking :-) i have to try those muffins!