Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Experimental Banana Bread

It was such a gorgeous evening when I got off the T-- I decided to keep walking past my apartment building and stroll around the neighborhood. I walked for about 30 minutes while listening to my ipod. I really enjoyed the fresh air, sunshine, and exercise. We need more spring days like this in Boston ASAP!

Mal went to dinner with his father, so it was just me tonight. I whipped up a salad with black beans, which I ate along side a serving of cheddar cheese pretzel sandwiches.


These cheese-filled pretzels are Mal's pick, but of course, I don't mind eating some....


Three very ripe bananas on our kitchen counter were just waiting to be baked into banana bread tonight. I don't have a "go-to" recipe for banana bread, and it is pretty tough to mess up, so I decided to experiment! I wrote down the recipe as I added ingredients, so I have typed it below. My banana bread actually turned out pretty darn good-- very moist with a nice banana-y flavor. I only wish that I had added walnuts... we didn't have any, but next time, walnuts are a necessity!


"Experimental" Banana Bread

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 very ripe bananas
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I didn't add these, but next time I will)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add all ingredients together and mix well (until smooth).
2. Coat loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, and pour mixture into pan.
3. Bake for approximately 45-55 minutes or until loaf is completely cooked through.

Makes 8 pieces, approximately 250 calories.


12 Comments:

chandra said...

YUM!! That bread looks delish!! I might have to try it out this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I'm such a fan of beans on salads. Sounds like a perfect dinner. I love those nights.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina, Just wondering, what brand of Oat Bran do you use?

Matt said...

everyone seems to be making banana bread lately. i think i need to join in on the festivities! also, are those pretzel things homemade or did you buy them?

Anonymous said...

soo...was the bread good? haha I'm dying to know, b/c I've been searching for a good banana bread. You're right, it's tough to go wrong here, haha, so I guess I've been looking to hard, but your recipe looks quick, easy, and DELISH! let me know if it passed the taste test :)

Beth said...

That looks so yummy! And I love those pretzels!

I emailed you some Chapel Hill info - let me know if you have questions. It is a great place.

Anonymous said...

I love it when there's overriped bananas! They're just asking to be made into banana bread.

Anonymous said...

Tina I am dying to know how was the apple sauce instead of oil in the bread. I haven't made the pumpkin/banana bread yet, going to Friday night. I never thought about sour cream before. Also, going to make the semsame soy chicken tonight. Actually going home during lunch to get it going.

Bamarunner11....ROLL TIDE!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tina,

I love your blog. Thanks for all the effort you put into it.

I have a question about your bulgar breakfasts. They look so creamy and soft, a lot like oatmeal. I bought a bag of bulgar yesterday (inspired by you!) but my breakfast turned out more rice-y, kind of with a texture like cous cous. I could feel every induividual grain of the bulgar. Do you think I didn't cook it long enough? It tasted good but the texture was just off.
Thanks!

Carrie H

Anonymous said...

Anon,
I use Old Wessex Ltd. Oat Bran. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Wessex-Ltd-18-5-Ounce-Canisters/dp/B000LKXHUY

BamaRunner11,

I bought the pretzels... although, I bet making them from scratch would be pretty cool. These ones are made my Snyder's.


hk,

The banana bread was great! Between Mal and me, the loaf is already 2/3 gone!

Anonymous said...

Tina,
I just found the answer to my question by searching for bulgar on your blog. Thanks for answering it before I even asked!!
Carrie H

Anonymous said...

Found you through Foodbuzz. That bread looks good and I like the healthy additions of the applesauce and wheat germ! I added you as a friend on Foodbuzz and subscribed to your feed :)