Monday, March 24, 2008

Pumpkin Maple Carbo Chip Bread

After finishing my 5 mile run around 6:45 am this morning, I decided that I wanted to bake. (I am so random sometimes!) The inspiration for this morning's baking adventure was leftover canned pumpkin and 1/2 a bag of carob chips. My creation was based off last week's Pumpkin Carob Chip Muffin recipe, but I altered a number of the ingredients, and made a loaf instead of muffins. Here's the end result...

Pumpkin Maple Carob Chip Bread

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup maple syrup (I used the real stuff)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup carob chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine ingredients, mix well.
3. Coat loaf pan with cooking spray, pour mixture into pan.
4. Cook for 40-50 minutes until center is firm and fully cooked.

Makes 8 pieces, approximately 350 calories each.

I had a big piece of Pumpkin Maple Carob Chip bread for breakfast, along with fresh strawberries and cantaloupe. The bread was delicious! My only gripe was that the maple flavor didn't really come through... maybe 1/2 cup next time.


All together...


2 pieces of PMCC bread: 700
1/2 cup cantaloupe: 25
1/2 cup strawberries: 25
Breakfast total: 750

6 Comments:

arielle said...

I'm impressed! I can't imagine baking in the morning, but it would be nice to have that for breakfast!

Dinahsoar said...

I made cookies that called for real maple syrup and they didn't have any maple flavor either...my conclusion is that the real stuff doesn't taste maple-y like the maple flavored syrups...even by itself the maple syrup didn't taste like maple...it was the grade A...I tried to find grade B which I've heard Ina Garten say (on TV) has more flavor...soooo....I'm thinking for lots of maple flavor one would have to use maple flavoring. I'd bet commercial products that contain real maple syrup also have maple flavoring if they taste maple-y.

Anonymous said...

I'm planning on making some pumpkin bread tomorrow...or tonight. You know how much I love pumpkin and I have YET to make some!

Anonymous said...

wow, this looks GREAT! so excited to get baking more recipes, I'm a pumpkin feind :)

Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of baking in the morning. It makes my whole day!

Hurrah for another beautiful recipe. =) Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

That looks delicous. I'll have to make this.