Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tuna Surprise

Dinner tonight was built around a can of tuna. Mal and I were both in the mood for tuna, but we didn't want the typical tuna sandwich. I was also kind of in the mood for beans, so together, we came up with a mixture of tuna, beans (kidney, pinto, and garbanzo), and brown rice. To this combination, we added olive oil, pressed garlic, fresh lemon juice, and ground pepper. Surprisingly, our food experiment turned out great... and we have leftovers to feed an army! To complement our tuna-bean-rice mixture, I made a "lemon-carrot salad." I used a peeler to shred the carrots, chopped some onion, and added lemon and pepper. The salad went really well with the tuna, rice, and beans. Mal and I definitely had the creative juices following tonight!


All together with a glass of wine...


For dessert: 2 pumpkin carob chip muffins... I am thinking about having another!

I'm off to finish my glass of wine and watch Ocean's Thirteen with Mal. What a nice (and much-needed) evening! :)

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

i love your carrot "salad"... hope u have a nice night relaxing!

gc said...

I think you had an orange theme going on today! The carrot salad looks wonderful! I love those carrot salads that have raisins in them too! Have a great night! The Ocean's movies are some of my favorites!!

fodie818 said...

hey tina!
how do you store your muffins?

Anonymous said...

Tuna + beans sounds great!! Love those muffins too. Bring me one in June! We'll baked potato buns :)

Anonymous said...

yumm! these muffins looks great! can't wait to get baking :)

Anonymous said...

I made an interesting dessert last night. A box of brownie mix, 1 can of pumpkin and a tablespoon of flax seed. They were delicious. Even my husband ate them.

Anonymous said...

ccameron - i tried making black bean brownies last night....BAD!!!! i think it was just the particular recipe...too many eggs, ended up very fluffy and I like dense, chewy brownies.

Were yours chewy or cake-like?

Anonymous said...

foodie818,

I store my muffins in a Tupperware container in the fridge. They actually taste pretty good cold!

Anonymous said...

I actually made 2 batches of brownies last night, one with black beans and the other with pumpkin. With the black beans you have to rinse them off really good (5x) and then pureed them in a food processor. But mine were very chewy and moist. I didn't use anything else besides the beans and the mix...no eggs or oil.