Friday, March 28, 2008

Wagamama's and The Sevens

Last night was FUN! The evening started with a little shopping at Banana Republic (I bought 2 shirts and a pair of pants) then meeting up with Mal and our friend, Jon at Wagamama's for dinner. Wagamama's was everything that I expected and more! I loved everything about it-- the food, drinks, menu selection, atmosphere, seating style, even our waiter. I got to try a number of new foods too, which I always enjoy. Such a cool place! I already want to go back!

For dinner, I ordered the miso soup, which was served with Japanese-style pickles. The colorful pickles were similar to regular pickles, but with a soy sauce flavor.


While we were waiting for Jon to arrive, Mal and I ordered a couple of cocktails. Mal had a Sam Adams (you can see his beer in the background), and I ordered the plum wine, a sweet wine served with sparkling water and ice. I don't usually like super sweet drinks, so I wasn't sure if I would like it, but our waiter insisted that I give it a try. He was right; the plum wine was delicious and refreshing!


Mal and I both ordered gyoza (dumplings). He ordered the duck gyoza; I ordered the yasai gyoza (veggie). When the ordered arrived, Mal downed 3 dumplings before we realized that he was eating my veggie order. (He was really hungry, and I was preoccupied taking photos.) We ended up sharing our gyoza, so I had a few of both kinds. The cherry hoi-sin sauce was out of this world! It was so rich and flavorful, but not at all like that overwhelming "fake" cherry flavor. It was so tasty-- I'm surprised that I didn't lick every last ounce from the bowl!


With dinner, I also ordered a glass of Chardonnay. The wine glasses are branded with the Wagamama's logo... kind of cool.


After dinner, the three of us went to my old roommate's fundraiser at The Sevens in Beacon Hill. She is raising money for a charity that is sponsoring her to run the Boston Marathon next month. I'm so excited for her! She's been very dedicated to her training, so I am sure she will do great! I'd love to run Boston, but I don't think my old lady hips would make it 26.2 miles. :(

I saw a bunch of friends at the fundraiser, including my other old roommate, Kelly (left), who I haven't seen in months. It was so great to catch up with her! I think we will start hanging out more often again. (We made tentative plans for next week!) It's so nice to reconnect with old friends.

At The Sevens, I drank 3 UFOs (with orange slices), which is a summer beer, and you know what that means! :) I'm definitely a little hungover today, but I had a great time last night. I'll just have to balance out last night with healthy eating and exercise this weekend.





6 Comments:

Unknown said...

Wow sounds like you had a great time. The gyoza's sound delish and its funny that your boyfriend didn't even notice he got the wrong one. ahhaa. Love it!

Hope you feel less hungover than expected today!

Anonymous said...

sounds YUMMY!!

i love UFOs. I was in New Hampshire last month and went to the Harpoon factory for a tour and my friends and I all bought Raspberry UFOs. They were AMAZING!! we kept wishing we had bought more. I keep looking for it in NYC but can't find any yet. Have you tried it?

Anne P said...

yay! i love that you are healthy most of the time but can also go out, have some drinks, and not worry about it! looks like you had fun! :)

Anonymous said...

yum - i LOVE miso soup :) looks like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Tina could you tell a difference with the applesauce in the banana bread? And what did the sourcream do for it?

Anonymous said...

Betsy,

I have tried the Raspberry UFO. It is delicious, especially as a summer brew!

Carrie,

I didn't taste the applesauce or the sour cream in the banana bread. The only taste that really came through was the banana. Both the applesauce and sour cream were used to add moisture to the batter without adding a lot of calories and fat-- like butter or vegetable oil would do. The banana bread was very moist!