Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Asian-Inspired Dinner

Dinner started off with a quick and easy Asian-style soup recipe from Women's Health Magazine: Asian-Style Chicken Soup. My version was very similar, but did not include chicken or spinach, and my additions were extra garlic and ginger as well as cumin, salt, and pepper. So flavorful! Mmmmmm! I munched on some baby carrots while cooking.


Dinner also included take-out from a local sushi restaurant. Mal and I split a roll of spicy tuna maki and an order of fried pork dumplings. The sushi was delicious (especially with extra wasabi), but I'm really not a fan of the fried gyoza-- I'd much rather the steamed or pan-seared ones, which have a lot more flavor.


All together from above... it doesn't look like a ton of food, but I ate plenty of calories this afternoon!


I was soooooo hungry when I got home from work. I knew Mal would be home kind of late, so I made myself a 1/2 peanut butter and date sandwich. Just when you thought I couldn't eat any more dates than I already do, I put them in a sandwich. Yum! (I officially have a date problem!) Dates and peanut butter are a tasty option that I highly recommend! :)


My first snack of the afternoon was eaten in the office around 3:00 pm. Snack #1 was Fage with honey and banana slices all mixed together. I thought the combo of high-protein Fage and a banana would hold me over until dinner, but around 6:00, I needed another snack (peanut butter and date sandwich).


Sorry for the short post this evening. Mal offered to give me a massage, and I am taking him up on his offer. Good night, all!

10 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I love the recipes/meal ideas in Women's Health Magazine!

peanut butter & date sandwich??? so innovative and drool-worthy!!!

by the way, have you given fresh, medjool dates a try yet?!?! you're not still eating the dried, pitted ones, are you?? ;0)

Simple and Divine said...

Fabulous! I love dates too :) But that soup sounds so comforting and clean. Yumyum in my tum.

Enjoy your massage! JEALOUS...

Anonymous said...

Yum! I've never thought of having dates in a sandwich, bravo!!

Jill said...

Dates and peanut butter?! That is an awesome idea!

Veggiegirl - can you tell me the difference in dates or apricots? I never know what with "turkish" and what not... you seem knowledgeable on the subject

Anonymous said...

PB&Dates? Nice combination :) I have to try that recipe in Women's Health! Looks delish :)

Anonymous said...

I must be just as crazy as you, i def have put dates on my PB sandwhich, and I also will add some kind of high fiber cereal to give it a crunch... so good!

Christie

Anonymous said...

Where do you find fresh dates?

Anonymous said...

Becca,

I'm not sure where to find fresh dates. Maybe Whole Foods? Anyone else know? I eat the dried pitted ones from Stop and Shop, but I think I should really try the fresh ones. VeggieGirl has sparked my interest in medjool dates! :)

Melanie said...

Woah, you can really take your wasabi! I think I would be in tears if I ate that much.
Enjoy your massage!

Anonymous said...

PB and dates... hmmm. Very interesting!