Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Coffee and a Donut

Oooh, boy! I throughly enjoyed my afternoon snack today! I didn't end up getting a free donut because hot coffee just didn't appeal to me on such a nice day, but 85-cent chocolate glazed cake donut was totally worth the money! (Thanks for the recommendation, Beth!) Check out how wonderful this donut looks... you just need to ignore the list of ingredients:

Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached wheat flour, Barley malt, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic acid), Water, Palm Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid Added to Help Protect Flavor, Sugar, Soybean oil, Nonfat dry milk, Egg yolk solids, Leavening (Sodium acid pyrophosphate, Baking soda, Sodium aluminum phosphate), Contains 2% or less of the following: Soy flour, Wheat starch, Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier), Phospholipase, Sodium Silicoaluminate (Anti-caking agent), Salt, Toasted wheat germ, Natural and artificial flavor, Vegetable color (Annatto, Turmeric), Konjac flour, Carrageenan. Icing Ingredients: Sugar, Water, Cocoa, High fructose corn syrup, Soybean oil (TBHQ added to protect flavor), Corn syrup, Corn starch, Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (soybean, cottonseed), Salt, Potassium sorbate and Sodium proprionate (Preservatives), Soy lecithin, Artificial flavor, Agar.

Well, I'm soooo glad that I waited to read the ingredients until after I ate the donut... I'm kind of feeling grossed-out now. Even though I fully enjoyed eating the donut, I think it'll be my last one for awhile. This list of ingredients scared me straight!


Afternoon snack: donut and iced coffee. Of course, after eating those sugary carbs, I'm hungry again. I have an apple in my bag that I will probably munch on before the end of the work day.

11 Comments:

arielle said...

huh. I thought dunkin donuts got rid of trans fats in their donuts. Maybe just in NY because of the ban?

The chain restaurants here have to start posting calorie counts on the menu boards, and because of that my boss just realized that the donut she gets from Starbucks every morning is 480 calories. She's very sad.

Anonymous said...

arimcg,

In theory, D&D got rid of trans fats in MA too. As long as the trans fat amount is less than 0.5 grams, companies can list it as 0.0 grams in the nutritional information (food label). Here's more info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032

It also seems that D&D is substituting trans fat with more saturated fat, which doesn't seem that much better. Sigh.

Beth said...

DROOLING over here!!!

I know, they are not great for you. But when you eat healthy 95% of the time, it's worth a splurge. Esp. with their coffee!

(And it could be worse - consider the ingredients for the FILLED donuts!)

Anonymous said...

Hi tina, I've never commented before, but I wanted to say that your blog is fab and refreshing. I am an avid foodblog reader, and I can truthfully award you the status of "best" in my eyes. Every blog has some hackneyed motto about balance/moderation blah blah, but yours is the only blog that actually reflects that wisdom. Your attitude rocks. kudos.

Anonymous said...

Eep... that list frightens me!

However, once and a while won't kill you. =)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

one donut won't hurt - just don't make it a habit! you should try baking your OWN donuts!! now THAT'D be sweet - and you can even add dates ;0)

Anonymous said...

It is so so refreshing to see your healthy eating habits and your take on splurges! I really identify with your food choices :) loveee the blog!

Anonymous said...

I completely am the same way...when i eat stuff like that it tastes so good at first, then after it digests, I always feel so blah afterwards and realize that it wasn't worth it!

I hope you have a fabulous time in Vegas! It sounds like a blast, I am so jealous after seeing that pool view!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha - I laughed out loud when I saw your ingredient list. And I LOVE the new site design!!

healthy ashley said...

Mmmmm.. looks yummy!

And it has Iron in it- doesn't that count? :)

Have FUN!

Jill said...

Gack! Scary list! Now I'm way happy there aren't any Dunking Donuts in Utah, it's scary! Ever since I had to tie up donuts to the string in that 'eat a donut without hands' game for kinds, I cannot stand them though, good way to hate donuts!