Monday, April 14, 2008

Cumin Mango Chicken

8:30 already?! This evening has flown by!

Workout

I had a great chest, shoulder, and biceps workout this evening! 

Sets: 3
Reps: 15
Weight: Choose a challenging weight; I used 8-20 lbs

Chest press on bench (dumbbells, 20 lbs.)
Cable one arm lateral raise (machine, 10 lbs.)
Front raises (dumbbells, 10 lbs.)
Upright rows (dumbbells, 15 lbs.)
Preacher curls (machine, 15 lbs.)
Hammer curls (dumbbells, 10 lbs.)

After lifting weights, I did an easy 3 miles on the treadmill, alternating between walking and running. My total time on the treadmill was close to 40 minutes.

Cumin Mango Chicken

Tonight's dinner was built around a very ripe mango. Also inspiring our recipe was the wonderful smell of curry in our hallway from our neighbors and some chicken breast in our fridge... and soon our dinner brainchild was born!

Here's the recipe...

3 cooked chicken breasts, chunked
1 mango (ripe), peeled, pitted, and chunked
1 small onion, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
4 garlic cloves, pressed/finely chopped
2 tsp canola oil
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup raisins
1 cup couscous (or rice)

1. Throughly cook chicken breast. (We grilled in a skillet.) Cut chicken breast into hardy chunks.
2. In a skillet, combine canola oil, garlic, red pepper, and onion, and cook until the vegetables soften, approximately 3-5 minutes.
3. Add cumin, thyme, bay leaf, paprika, and salt, cook and stir for approximately 30 seconds.
4. Add chicken breast and canned tomatoes to skillet. Cover and turn down heat to medium for about 5 minutes.
5. Turn heat to low and add raisins and mango to mixture. Discard bay leaf.
6. Serve warm with couscous (or rice).

Cumin Mango Chicken


Vibrant colors up close... my serving of couscous is on the bottom of the bowl.


All together with wine and ice water...


Afternoon Snack

My afternoon snack was peppermint tea, a big orange, and 2 hermits. Yum! This snack held me over all afternoon and through a workout. That's my kind of snack! :)


My mid-morning snack ended up being a piece of homemade banana-walnut bread that my boss baked for the office. It was delicious and went great with my soy milk misto! Coffee and baked goods... mmmmmm!


Lunch

Sorry no lunch photos-- I forgot my camera on my desk at work! Boloco was fabulous... and surprisingly inexpensive. My friend Sarah and I both ordered the same lunch: a garden salad with chicken and hummus and salsa on the side. The hummus was actually a black bean hummus-- I loved it! I'm a huge fan of Boloco now! I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more about it in the future!

5 Comments:

Monica said...

Hi Tina! I have been reading your blog for a long time now, and I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy it! I love the new banner- it makes me want a piece of carrot cake! That mango chicken looks delicious!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

The day DEFINITELY flew by - thank goodness, since that means we're only that much closer to the weekend! :0)

Mmm, those Hermit cookies look better and better, each time you snack on them - yum! And that banana bread looks wonderful as well!

Anonymous said...

I love mangoes... they remind me of tropical islands :) I think that's b/c the first time I tried one was in Mexico... This is a perfect summer dish!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a pretty good day, especially a good food day ;-0

Anonymous said...

This looks really good. I love anything with mango in it, and cumin goes really well with both mango and chicken.