Thursday, April 24, 2008

Late Night, Busy Day Ahead

Busy day ahead! I just had a staff meeting, where my boss piled another 10 tasks onto my plate. Oh dear! The end of the week is going to be biz-ey!!

Breakfast today was a warm, sticky bowl of oat bran with dried cranberries, raisins, and sliced almonds.


How to make: To 1/3 cup dry oat bran, add 2/3 cup water and toppings (I used 1/4 cup raisins, 1/8 cup dried cranberries, 1/8 cup sliced almonds) in a large microwavable bowl. Stir ingredients and then heat in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir ingredients again, and enjoy!


Red Sox

We had a blast at the game, but sadly, the Sox lost.

After work, I met Mal and our friends, Jen and Carl for appetizers at Unos before the game. Jen and I shared a chicken quesadilla. (Sorry no photo-- I didn't even think of taking one until we were almost finished eating.) Everyone drank Miller Lites, but I was not at all in the mood for drinking any sort of alcoholic beverage. I'm still recovering from Vegas. Blah. I am supposed to see Tim Blane tonight with friends, but I think I am going to bail on the evening out. I'm exhausted.

Photos from last night:

Fenway Park


Crowd celebrating Papi's home run


Mal and me in the grandstands


5 Things that Keep you Healthy

What are 5 things (habits, activities, products, etc.) that help you live a healthy lifestyle and add to your wellness?

Here are mine:
  • My Nalgene(s). I drink a ton of water... all day long!
  • My planner. I keep track of my workout details in the calendar. Seeing my progress keeps me going.
  • Fruit for breakfast. I try to start each day right with a piece of fresh fruit.
  • Oatmeal. Warm, delicious, carb-y. I think we all understand this one! :)
  • Mint tea. It's delicious, low-cal, and perfect for when you are craving something sweet.

9 Comments:

Monica said...

5 things that keep me healthy are:

1. Eating a good, balanced breakfast. Oatmeal of course!
2. Drinking a ton of water throughout the day.
3. Exercising on a regular basis. I find if I don't, I am more likely to eat "crap" food.
4. Always keeping Kashi granola bars, nuts or a piece of fruit in my purse for emergencies.
5. Having a treat (or 2)everday! I love sweets ;)

Anonymous said...

i just love going to ball games. growing up in Cleveland i've been to TONS and always enjoy going when I go back home. even when they lose, they're still fun.

Cassie said...

Great Question
1- Mint tea - allows me to end meals in a sweet way without extra calories
2- Dark Chocolate - So rich I only need a little
3- Small Bowls - keeps my ice cream to the appropriate serving size
4- Hummus - not a huge meat-eater so it allows me to get that extra protein
5- water & exercise - these are no-brainers

Anonymous said...

What mint tea do you recommend? I never knew mint tea was sweet! I'm always looking for teas that are naturally sweet.

Anonymous said...

Anon,

My favorite mint tea is Tazo Refresh. They sell it at Starbucks and Whole Foods. I am addicted to it!

Anne P said...

Things that keep me healthy...

Same first four things as Monica wrote, and then #5 is snacking a lot in the afternoon! now that i have a bigger snack (usually like one around 2:30 and another around 4) in the afternoon, when i get home, i'm feeling good about going to work out. before i used to get home starving and talk myself out of it so i could have dinner! and then, since i ate dinner earlier, i'd be more tempted to snack later in the evening, too!

Anne P said...

actually, one small change to monica's list -- my breakfast staple when i get to work is a huge bowl of kashi heart to heart, skim milk, half a banana (i eat the other half before i leave for work), blueberries, and then sometimes strawberries, raspberries or blackberries too. love it!!! soooo tasty and rather volumous so keeps me full and happy til lunch. i love berries!

Anonymous said...

I used to have 4 nalgene bottles, but when I found out they had bisphenol A, I chucked them.

My 5 healthy habits:
1) Keep junk food out of the house.
2) Eat breakfast as soon as I wake up.
3) Plan my meals to ensure they are balanced, and so I never feel hungry.
4) Eat 3 well balanced meals and 3 snacks.
5) Eating as many whole grains, organic and raw foods as possible!

Anonymous said...

5 things that keep me healthy:

1. Variety in my morning meals, always keeping my tastebuds happy which means less "searching for something tasty" in the afternoon.
2. Lots and lots of water.
3. A daily salad or chopped raw veggies to keep my snack tooth happy, and filling me up without weighing me down.
4. Running...keeps me sane! And fit...and able to fit into my favorite jeans. :)
5. peanut butter...I need the extra fat and calories, and this guy always manages to make it his personal duty. :) I put it on whatever I'm having for breakfast, or on top of an apple for snack...now I'm going to try it on top of yogurt too. That looks and sounds yummy! :)