Monday, April 28, 2008

Mal's Cobb Salad

Mal has been en fuego in the kitchen lately! While I was at the gym, Mal threw together a hearty Cobb Salad for dinner. 


Mal's Cobb Salad was a protein powerhouse, fueled by chicken breast, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, and bacon. I'm very satisfied... even a tad on the full side! 


Mal's Cobb Salad
Makes 4 servings

6 pieces of bacon, crumbled
2 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup red onions, chopped
1 avocado, chunked
1 hard-boiled egg
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese*
Lettuce 

Dressing:
2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

1. Top a bowl of lettuce with the chicken breast, bacon, red onion, avocado, and egg. 
2. Whisk together dressing ingredients. 
3. Dress salad, toss, and serve. 

*We forgot to add the blue cheese, but the salad was still terrific! 


The big bowl of Cobb Salad...

Mal ended up eating 2 servings, I ate one, and there is a serving leftover for my lunch tomorrow. I already added the blue cheese to it! 


My afternoon snack was Fage with Kashi Go Lean Crunch and 2 tbsp of peanut butter all stirred together. It kept me full through the afternoon and a tough workout this evening.


RecipeMatcher

Just want to share this great website with you all-- www.recipematcher.com is a website that helps you find recipes based on the ingredients and groceries that you already have at home. You type in the items in your refrigerator and/or pantry, and RecipeMatcher will show you what you can make. The website also helps you put together cocktails from what you have in your bar. Very cool, if you ask me. 

9 Comments:

teenage girl said...

wow that salad looks amazing!

Cassie said...

ooo I haven't had a cobb salad in the longest time- yours looks delicious and very fresh!

That website is great- thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's a tasty looking salad!

arielle said...

That recipe matcher is a genius idea. Also, if you just type a bunch of stuff into google, some good things usually come up.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the website Tina! I had never heard of that one!!
And I still need to try that PB and yogurt mix!!

Anonymous said...

Cobb salad is the best kind of salad ever! I'll have to try this recipe out sometime :D

Ooo that website would be so helpful! I've never cooked for myself for an extended period of time before, so I'm going to need all the suggestions I can get X_x

Erin said...

I have to make that next week, I love cobb salad and it has been ages since I have made it. It looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum - that salad looks awesome! You're very lucky to have a guy that will cook for you while you're at the gym!! My husband grills but that's all he has interest in :(

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing the recipematcher, what a great idea! And that cobb salad looks just amazing :)