Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Oat Bran-Bulgar Blend

What is better than bulgar for breakfast? Bulgar and oat bran for breakfast! :) I couldn't decide what I was in the mood for this morning, so I had both!


I combined 1/8 cup of bulgar (dry) and 1/4 cup of oat bran (dry) with 1/2 cup of water, added chopped dates and walnuts, and microwaved for 3 minutes. Viola!


I love this new breakfast blend! It's the best of both worlds: chewy, nutty bulgar and mushy, voluminous oat bran in one bowl!


Reader Tips for Avoiding Office Temptations

  • Chew gum or pop in a peppermint
  • Bring my own healthy snacks
  • Go take a walk
  • Stay as FAR away as possible from the table with the food (out of sight, out of mind!!)
  • Plan an afternoon snack
  • Lots of water!
  • Allow myself any treat once or twice a week, followed by a nice walk
  • Splurge at a fun party or for someone's birthday when everyone is together enjoying a treat... eating alone at my desk is not really worth it!
  • Drink some hot tea
  • Make [the treat] absolutely worth it!
  • It helps to think that swimsuit season is coming up, and 5 minutes of pleasure from a cookie will not be as sweet as looking hot in my bikini!
  • Resist unless the office treat is something special. For example, Friday donuts aren't special because I can have those anytime, but homemade scones are worth indulging in!
Let me know if you have additional tips for avoiding office treats, and I will add them to this list. I also added a "motivation" tag to my blog. If you're like me, sometimes I need a little extra boost (tips, quotes, advice, etc.) to keep me on track-- feel free to refer to my motivation page as often as needed!

I'm off to a meeting. Back later for lunch!

8 Comments:

Monica said...

Love the idea for a motivation page!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your tips for avoiding office temptation... as I read this, there is biscotti sitting right outside of my cube! I'm going to think about bikini season ;)

I'm going to try mixing bulgur w/ oats next! Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

really good idea about the tips, love the blog, definitely keep this part up!

Anonymous said...

By the way I just realized I never responded to your comment about hair trials!

A few tips :)

Be prepared with pictures... I found the hairstyle I liked from The Knot... I printed it out and literally showed the hair stylist it and she was able to instantly create it...

They say not to go too drastic in terms of little details based on how you typically like your hair... for example, I hate parts in my hair but I always like a little volume in the front, so I went w/ an updo that is similar ;)

Make sure you have her take tons of pictures from all angles when it is finished, so that way you have the pictures for the big day to remind them!

Unwashed hair is best - but you probably know that ;)

Whenever your hair trial is, I hope you relax & enjoy it!!

Alex said...

The motivation tag is such a great idea!

Anonymous said...

That's such a fantastic blend! I still have to try bulgur for breakfast, it looks so yummy.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

One of my recommendations is at the next office meeting to talk about doing away with birthday cakes and that no one should be bringing in candies. etc.

I don't eat any of those things anyway because they're not vegan but I knew most of my co-w's were trying to diet and were subliminally "doing each other in"

After I brought it up my office stopped with the cakes and chocolates and everyone was happy not to have "temptations"

Becca said...

I need to try bulgur...