Saturday, May 31, 2008

Apple-Oat Crisp

Yay, Saturday! It's already been a wonderful morning! Mal and I slept in a little, woke up, ate breakfast, and watched the season finale of Lost, which left my head spinning! I can't believe we have to wait until the fall (?) for the next season to begin!

Last night, I baked some very yummy, low-calorie Apple-Oat Crisp. The recipe is from the February 2008 issue of Good Housekeeping

Apple-Oat Crisp right out of the oven...


My portion... well, my first portion. I ended up having a second bowl about the same size. One serving just wasn't enough-- it was SO tasty! The best part about the recipe is the lemon, which gives it a zesty flavor, especially when mixed with the brown sugar. I actually reduced the brown sugar by 1/4 cup, and the recipe was still sweet, but too sweet. 


This morning's breakfast was an egg, swiss cheese, and buffalo sauce pita. I used Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce and a Joseph's pita. I also ate a small kiwi. 


And of course, homemade iced coffee with milk and a packet of Splenda... 


After eating breakfast, I felt like I still wanted something. I munched on 3 medjool dates while watching the end of Lost.
 

Busy Saturday ahead! We've got lost of errands to do today, and Mal's parents are coming over for dinner tonight. I still have no idea what we are going to cook for them! Feel free to send ideas my way! :)

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
I'm sad to say that I think we have to wait until February of 2009 for the next LOST episode!

Good luck w/ the dinner plans :) Maybe try browsing through Cooking Light for ideas?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Still behind on watching 'LOST'.... my parents and I REALLY need to end this bad habit, haha.

Oh my, that Apple-Oat Crisp looks even BETTER than it sounded, when you posted about it yesterday - yum!!

Enjoy your Saturday!!

Melanie said...

Lost is either end of January or beginning of Feb 2009! Too long! I love that show!

I love fruit crisps! Looks great!

My boyfriend and I are grilling salmon, shrimp and veggies tonite on the grill! Humid here in DC but still a great grilling day!

Have a great dinner!

Beth said...

Are you/they mushroom fans? This is one of my all time face recipes. Easy, and it wows people!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33523,00.html

I don't have a grill so I just do the mushrooms in a pan on the stove, and then transfer to the oven.

Beth said...

Uh, fave recipe, not face :)

Anonymous said...

That crisp looks DEElicious! Mmm have to try some of that asap

Maggie M. said...

I am such a sucker for apple crisp. This one looks perfectly crunchy and delicious.

As for recipe recs, I would say this recipe called "the best crab cakes", but I can't find it! I think it was in cooking light but I'm not sure - I have a photocopy of it somewhere. I'll keep looking if you're interested! Crab cakes are always a hit with parents.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay and Melanie,

February 2009? I don't know if I can make it!?!

Melanie-- Salmon on the grill sounds a-mazing! Yum!

Beth,

Thank you for the recipe! I'll have to make those babies soon!

Magpie,

Yes, please! If it's not too much trouble, I'd love the crab cake recipe. Crab cakes are one of my favorites!