Thursday, May 8, 2008

Blackberry Date Bulgar

Mmmm, breakfast! My favorite meal of the day! Today's was bulgar with fresh blackberries and chopped dates. (Sorry that the photos are so dark-- I guess I didn't have many lights on this morning!)


I added the blackberries and dates to the dry bulgar and water before I put it in the microwave to cook. The end result was purple bulgar and soft, squishy fruit. I added a large spoonful of vanilla yogurt on top. Delish!


Snacky Snack

THANK YOU for all of the great snack ideas! I can't wait to try some new ones, especially the Larabars-- almost everyone mentioned them! I think I am missing out on a wonderful snack! Here's the snack list that you guys came up with-- please let me know if you have any others to add.

  • LARABARS!
  • Whole wheat pretzels or crackers with the Laughing Cow cheese wedges
  • Kashi crackers with whipped cottage cheese and jam
  • Fresh fruit: Apples, oranges, pears, clementines
  • Yogurt with cereal
  • Almonds
  • Popcorn
  • 1/2 English muffin with PB and jelly
  • Mini smoothie: 75 g strawberries, 1/2 banana, splash OJ, ice and water
  • Fat free cottage cheese and fruit salad packed in juice, drained
  • Pickles and olives and hummus
  • Cottage cheese and Kashi cereal
  • Cliff Kid Z Bars
  • Instant oatmeal
  • Veggies and hummus
  • Dried fruit
  • Fresh veggies: carrots, cucumber slices with sea salt
  • Fruit with Nutella
  • PB and Late July crackers
  • Nuts
  • Kashi Cinnamon Harvest with warmed vanilla soy milk
  • Peanut Butter Puffin's cereal mixed with nuts
  • Boiled eggs
  • Apples and cheese
  • Babybel Light or Jarlsberg Light with dried fruit
  • Mini Luna bar and a piece of fruit
  • Chewy Kashi granola bars
  • Stoneyfield vanilla yogurt, sprinkled with lightly salted sunflower seeds
  • Chocolate rice cake with peanut butter and glass of milk
  • Whole wheat tortilla with cheese, nuked for a few seconds
  • Crunchy Kashi bars
  • Celery with peanut butter and raisins
  • Whole wheat pita with hummus
  • Blue tortilla chips and salsa
  • Carrot "chips" (raw carrots cut with ridges) dipped in salsa mixed with a tbs. of light sour cream

9 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Dates & blackberries - what a refreshing combination for a bulgur breakfast!! Yum!!

Haha, I love that you wrote Larabars in all caps, since that's how I always write it out in blog post comments :0D I do love 'em!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm not sure if I've ever commented in your blog before. If not: I think it's great...keep up the fantastic work!

One of my favorite snacks is carrot "chips" (raw carrots cut with ridges...you can buy these in those grocery store, though they are sometimes hard to find) dipped in salsa mixed with a tbs. of light sour cream. I have no idea why, but this combination always works for me! It's a really good way to ensure that you get your veggies.

I also endorse the Clif Z-Bars...not too dense or sweet, portable, and the perfect snack size. I especially like the brownie flavor.

-Lauren

Anonymous said...

Snacks I love:

--stoneyfield vanilla yogurt, sprinkled with lightly salted sunflower seeds
--cup of heart to heart cereal with 1/2 cup of milk
--cup of kashi puff cereal with 1/2 cup of vanilla hempmilk
--chocolate rice cake with peanut butter and glass of milk
--whole wheat tortilla with cheese, nuked for a few seconds.
--apple and hot mug of milk for cool days
--the crunchy kashi bars (pecan is my favorite..:)
--celery with peanut butter and raisins
--whole wheat pitas with hummus
--100-cal popcorn bags
--blue tortilla chips and salsa

Anne P said...

wanted to second the kashi heart to heart cereal --- LOVE IT!!! i have it for breakfast every day, but it'd make a great snack, too. i also love the chewy kashi granola bars (cherry dark chocolate or trail mix -- the ones that come in the 6-pack boxes, not the bigger individual ones) or the crunchy ones that come in the box packs as well (pumpkin spice is so good!)

Anonymous said...

i had chopped dates in myoatmeal for the first time and thought of you!! yummy-i'm going to have to put this on my oatmeal rotation.

Beth said...

I am eating PB Puffins for the first time today, and OH MY GOSH. I LOVE THEM! Great snack with a bit of skim milk!!!

Becca said...

What a lovely shade of purple! I love when berries do that to my morning oats!

Simple and Divine said...

Tina: There is a FABBBULOUS SNACK site! All of the snacks are REALLY low in cals (all around 100) but they are amazing looking (I have yet to try out their recipes) but they are all unconventional and fun and keep you guessing!! Enjoy it! <3

"Body + Soul Challenge: Snack of the Day!"
http://blogs1.marthastewart.com/body_soul_challenge/snack_of_the_day/index.html

Anonymous said...

Simple and Divine,

THANK YOU for the Body+Soul link! I added it my "Healthy Snack Ideas."