Friday, May 2, 2008

Coconut Cranberry Oat Bran with Vanilla Yogurt

Friday! Friday! Friday! The weekend is so close, I can taste it!

This morning's breakfast was a new creation: Coconut Cranberry Oat Bran with Vanilla Yogurt.


How to: I added 1/4 cup of dried cranberries to my oat bran, and cooked as usual. After removing from the microwave, I topped the carb-a-licious mixture with shredded coconut and a dollop of Stonyfield vanilla yogurt (about 1/8 cup).


The coconut shavings and yogurt tasted like vanilla frosting on top of my oat bran! I will definitely be continuing this addition in the future!


From above on my reversible Target placemats...


I can't wait for the weekend to begin-- only a few more hours! I'm supposed to see Augusten Burroughs at the Boston Public Library (BPL) tonight, but when I called the BPL this morning, it sounded like Augusten's reading was going to be a madhouse! It starts at 6:00, but the women I spoke with recommended arriving no later than 5:00/5:15 because they are expecting so many people! I'm not sure if I am in the mood to battle large crowds of people. We'll see though-- Mr. Burroughs one of my favorite authors ever!!! What's everyone up to this weekend?

8 Comments:

Anne P said...

ooo i love augusten burroughs!! you should definitely go see him, so i can hear about it :)

arielle said...

Did you read the profile of him in New York? It was pretty interesting...in this week's issue, check it out!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I read your blog often but haven't commented until now. I find your approach to eating so refreshing. You listen to your body craves and come with with creative and colorful meals and snacks. I don't know if you read Kath's blog, but a few days ago I asked her why she doesn't eat oat bran. She said she does but the volume of it isn't as much as the volume of oatmeal for the number of calories. I also see that your serving of oat bran looks quite small. So I have a question for both you and her, I guess. Do you use the 1.25 cups of water per .5 cup of oat bran? Whenever I make it it's always much more voluminous than oatmeal (which I also cook with 1.25 cups of water to plump up whatever add-ins I'm using). Just wondering if either your bowls are HUGE or you prefer to use less water. Keep up the great blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOOOVE Augusten Burroughs - I fly through his books, they're so witty.

I gave you a shout-out on my blog this AM - I had a breakfast I think you would really like. Then I checked your blog, and you had a very similar one!

Anonymous said...

Whoops, forgot to link!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

That breakfast SCREAMS deliciousness - yum!!

Oooh, I do hope that you end up going to that Augusten Burroughs event at the library - sounds fun, despite the expected crowds!!

I'll be studying for finals this weekend :0( Luckily I went out last night!

Anonymous said...

Meghan,

I use 1/3 cup of dry oat bran with 2/3 cup of water. It makes a HUGE amount of oat bran for just 140 calories. Some days I actually have trouble finishing it! I love oatmeal, but if I am really hungry in the morning (like I usually am), I prefer oat bran. In my opinion, it has more volume than oatmeal.

Monica said...

Yum! I have to try that delicious combo. Have a fabulous weekend!