Thursday, May 1, 2008

Coconut-Ginger Carrots

After being completely obsessed with Mollie Katzen's Coconut-Ginger Carrots, I needed to make them for myself! I've been thinking about their flavor explosion since Wednesday!

Mollie's recipe started with 2 pounds of peeled and sliced carrots.


Coconut-Ginger Carrots
From The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without, by Mollie Katzen

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 cups minced onion
1 heaping Tbsp minced fresh ginger (I used ground ginger)
2 tsp minced or crushed garlic
1/2 tsp salt
2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 Tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger (optional)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (I used 3/4 cup)

Instructions:

1) Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat the bottom surface of a 1-1/2-quart gratin pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil and set aside.

2) Place a large, deep skillet over, medium heat. After about a minute, add the remaining olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and half the salt and sauté for another 5 minutes.

3) Add the carrots and the remaining salt, and stir until the carrots are well coated with the onion mixture. Turn down the heat, cover the pan, and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and crystallized ginger, if desired. Cover again and cook for 5 minutes longer.

4) Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the carrots are fork-tender.

5) Uncover, sprinkle with the coconut (making sure it gets into all the crevices), and return to the oven until the coconut is golden, 10 minutes or longer. Serve hot or warm.

Yield: 5 to 6 servings

My Coconut-Ginger Carrots hot from the oven...


I love the golden brown shredded coconut!


Up close and personal with my first serving of carrots... I totally went back for a second helping! They're so frickin' delicious!


I also ate a half pita filled with deli ham and buffalo sauce (super yummy combo!)


Dinner from above...


While waiting for the Coconut-Ginger Carrots to cook, I snacked on a piece of Ezekiel bread with peanut butter and apple spread.


Around 2:00 this afternoon, I was really craving carbs... and I wanted a lot of them! I decided on a raisin bran muffin from the HSPH cafe. The muffin was huge!!! I enjoyed it with a mug of decaf coffee with soy milk. It was the perfect snack to satisfy my craving!


Lots of good TV on tonight-- boob tube time!

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you one of those women who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight?

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Coconut is one ofthe best ingredients EVER-- it makes ANY food taste like Hawaii :o)

And you are now on my blogroll. Thanks for letting me add you.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

coconut-ginger carrots?? giant muffin?? awesome t.v. night?? this is an amazing Thursday for you, for sure!! :0D

Cassie said...

I can't wait for TV tonight! Those carrots look amazing! YUM

I plan to make those muffins of yours this weekend- thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Your carrots look just as great as Molly's from the other day, YUM! I can't wait to try, thanks for the recipe :) boob tube time, yay for Grey's!

Becca said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! I can't wait to try it out!

Anonymous said...

Those carrots take me back to this after-school "cooking" class I took in 3rd grade. The only thing I recall cooking was boiled carrots...oh and then we added salt...yeah we got jipped.

Your carrots, on the other hand, look absolutely delicious. I'm gonna have to make them!!

Anonymous said...

I know this may sound like a silly question, but what kind of dates do you buy? In the grocery store I saw two kinds, one was medjool dates and the other I cannot remember what they were called.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh. I'm having food flashbacks!!
I just HAVE to share this amazing little number with you (and all your blog fans)..it's from Patrick Incerto in 1st grade - we all brought recipes and put them together in a little book. Not super healthy BUT WORTH EVERY CALORIE!!! Here it goes:

-Tortilla
-Cream Cheese
-Cinnamon Sugar
*heat up non-stick pan on med. heat*

Basically just smear some cream cheese in a thin layer over tortilla. Sprinkle lots of cinnamon (and some sugar) all over the CC. Put the tortilla in the pan and cook until golden brown then fold in half and sprinkle cinnamon sugar all over the folded product and cut into little triangles (pretty much just treat it like a sweet quesadilla).

It's delicious enough for me to remember the 1st grade boy's name who brought the recipe..so it's pReettYyy gooood.

Anonymous said...

Lolafunk,

I wish! I work pretty hard to maintain my weight by exercising and eating well (for the most part). After college, I gained a lot of weight, and have lost and maintained a 20-25 pound weight loss for a few years now.

ChocolateCoveredVegan,

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll! :)

Anon,

I buy the Dole brand pitted dates. I'm still trying to get my hands on medjool dates. I hear they are wonderful, but unfortunately, my grocery store doesn't carry them.

It said,

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious!!!