Thursday, May 15, 2008

Coconut Date Cookies (To Die For)

I may have just tasted the most delicious recipe I have ever created! I am totally impressed with these cookies (and myself)!

Coconut Date Cookies


Mal gave the perfect description for these cookies: "You know what they remind me of... those Girl Scout cookies with the coconut... the Samoas... only without the chocolate. Delicious! They're just really good." (He ate 5 of them with a glass of milk.)


Coconut Date Cookies
Makes 12 cookies

1 cup pitted dates (approximately 15-20 whole dates; make sure measuring cup is full)
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar)
1 tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup soy milk

1. Put all ingredients in a blender/food processor, and blend well until there are no large date pieces.
2. Portion mixture into 1 inch balls, place on greased cookie sheet, and flatten with the back of a spoon/spatula.
3. Cook for 10-12 minutes on 350 degrees.
4. Remove from oven and cool on cookie rack.

Approximately 75-80 calories per cookie.

Samoas Option: Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave. Using a fork dipped in the melted chocolate, drizzle on top of cookies (cookies should be cool).

Enjoy!

**I recommend storing these cookies in the refrigerator. Mine were really sticky this morning after leaving them out on the kitchen counter all night. I guess I don't like my cookies sticky!


15 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

My goodness, those cookies DEFINITELY look to-die-for!! Start digging my grave!! ;0)

Becca said...

I love all your baked goods this week! Lots of things for me to try!

Anonymous said...

Couple questions for you about the recipe. First, about how many dates did you use? - 1c may be hard to measure. Two, did you use unsweetened coconut? And, do you have to use soy milk or do you think skim milk would be okay too. I'm not a fan of straight up coconut - the texture kind of bothers me, but I've been known to tolerate it more when it's hidden and mixed in things, especially baked goods. I think I might give this recipe a try though - I love GS Samosas!

Anonymous said...

To Die For, indeed!!

Anonymous said...

Anon,

I'm not sure how many dates I used... maybe 15-20? I put them in a measuring cup, and they filled it completely. Sorry, I should have been more exact with that measurement. I need to work on my recipe skills! :)

I used sweetened coconut for the recipe. There wasn't a ton of coconut texture to these cookies because it was blended well into the batter. The coconut flavor definitely came through though!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Samosas (which have trans-fats in them!) so I can't wait to make these!!! I'm putting the on the agenda for next week. But I'm supposed to make your date bars first! I love how you invent healthy cookies - I'm totally lacking in that dept.

Anne P said...

OMG I LOVE SAMOAS!!!! they are my favorite cookies on earth. i must try making these!

Beth said...

Yum! Where does this recipe come from?

Anonymous said...

Beth,

The recipe is from my brain! :) I just made it up as I went a long!

Beth said...

Wow, even more impressive!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. These were my favorite cookies as a kid! I've steered clear for years for health reasons--but now I can have them. Yippee! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Jessica said...

I LOVE Caramel Delights - that what we called them in KY as a girl scout. They are my favorite cookies, I can't wait to try them too. We are having a family gathering in June, these are on my goodies list to take. (And thanks for your comment earlier today - enjoying your blog)

Monica said...

Tina, I made these a few days ago and they are delicious!! Mine turned into balls because I had a problem with them sticking to the baking sheet. I was happy though because I ate the stuck on pieces ;)

Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe!!

Anonymous said...

What am I doing wrong? Everytime I make these they are wet wet wet and even when I bake them for 5 minutes longer, they are just floppy dough. Taste good, but they are sticky and not a 'cookie'...maybe I should use less soymilk?

Tina said...

Sara,

Yea, mine are sticky too, but I just keep them in the fridge.