Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Brown Sugar-Balsamic Date Pizza

Just when you thought I couldn't include any more dates in my diet...

Brown Sugar-Balsamic Date Pizza with Caramelized 
Onions, Walnuts, and Feta


Oh, yes... I made date pizza for dinner! It was soooooo incredibly yummy-- I almost ate the whole pizza in one sitting. I finally stopped myself, and packed the rest up for lunch tomorrow. (I'm already excited for lunch!) 


I used these Fabulous Flats Tandoori Naan, which I randomly found in the bakery section of the grocery store this weekend, as the pizza crust. 

How to: First, I sliced half of a small onion as well as 7 pitted dates into approximately 1/4 inch pieces. I added the onions and dates to a saute pan, coated with olive oil, and sauteed for about 5 minutes, until the onions were soft. 


Next, I mixed 1 tbsp of brown sugar with 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, and then drizzled it on top of the flat bread, which I then topped with the onions, dates, walnuts, and feta. 


Finally, I popped the whole flat bread into the toaster oven for about 10 minutes, until the feta was melted and the edges of the crust started to brown. Viola! Here is the final product, hot from the toaster oven! 


I'm in the middle of baking Pumpkin Muffins with Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips! They smell wonderful-- our whole apartment smells delicious! 

11 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Tina, you NEED to write a cookbook featuring all the delectable ways that you enjoy dates - it'd be a hit!

Pumpkin muffins??? Oooh, save me one fresh from the oven, please!! :0D

Becca said...

Wow. I never would have come up with that combo! I've seen those naan in my grocery store, are they any good?

Oh and save me one too ;)

Simple and Divine said...

FANTASTIC!!! This is so fabulous for an entertainment meal or even apps! You can cut it into squares or triangles or whatever! Tina, you're creativity is SO impressive!!! You should feel so proud of yourself :)

(PS) Those muffins sound SO Drool-worthy!

Jill said...

First, I love your destress post, it's something I need to work on!

I've seen those naans and have been so curious, so I'm glad you tried them out!

Anonymous said...

if i had this lunch to look forward to, i'd be super excited too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing! I love the mix of sweet and savory!

Cassie said...

That pizza looks amazing!! I have def seen those flatbreads before but never stopped to by one- genious to use it as a pizza crust! Did you like the flavor of the crust? Is it thick?

Anonymous said...

Wow Tina, that pizza sounds fantastic! I just had those Naan last night with dinner, heated up on the grill & I was thinking that they would make a great pizza crust, now I have a topping :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Fabulous Flat breads Naan are amazing (and fabulous)! They are so much better than the pizza dough we have been buying. They are soft, semi-thick, but definitely not thin. Very delicious all around. I will be buying them again in the near future. They're so versatile!

Anonymous said...

Your recent recipes look fantastic!!

Mo said...

Tina,
I recently found your blog and am reviewing your old posts. I made your date/coconut cookies. But, I have to say, this pizza looks AMAZING! (It would be especially good with a glass of red wine. :)

I make a pizza flatbread that is somewhat similar, with figs, gorgonzola, carmelized onion, balsamic, and shittake mushrooms.