Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Pumpkin-Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Muffins

Yum! I'm in love with these cake-like muffins!

It was pretty late when these finished baking last night-- I wasn't hungry at all, but the smell and look of these babies just made me have to try one! All I can say is wow! The flavor was amazing-- a combo of pumpkin, peanut butter, and chocolate! Absolutely divine!


The texture of the muffins was incredible-- probably my favorite thing about them! The muffins came out so soft and fluffy-- they almost had a whipped look to them. The outside of the muffins were firm, even a little crispy, but the center was smooth, warm, and moist. (Wow, I really want one now to go with my coffee!)


Mal loved these too-- he was actually surprised by how much he liked (almost) vegan muffins!


Pumpkin-Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Muffins
(My recipe is based off the Pumpkin Chocolate Cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World-- Thanks, Beth!!)

Ingredients:

1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup peanut butter and chocolate chips (I used Toll House Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate morsels)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 and coat muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together pumpkin, oil, sugar, soy milk and vanilla. Stir in flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir together with a fork - do not use an electric mixer or batter will be gummy. Once well combined, fold in chocolate chips.

Distribute evenly between muffin cups. Bake 18-22 minutes, then cool on wire rack.

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

yum ;) i need to stock up on whole wheat flour then i'll definitely be attempting these!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

pumpkin, peanut butter, chocolate, AND vegan (without milk chocolate)?!?! those muffins sound too good to be true!! yum :0) glad that Mal liked them too!

Unknown said...

Any ideas on the calories and nutritional breakdown?

Anonymous said...

I NEED to try this! I can't believe how good this looks.

Anonymous said...

Ashley,

I'm really not sure about the nutritional breakdown since I don't own the cookbook, but maybe I'll purchase it! (If the other recipes are as good as this one, I will love it!) Based on other muffins that I've baked, my guess is that each mini muffin is around 90-100 calories.

Beth said...

So glad you liked the recipe! I will have to try it with PB chips!

To Ashley - the cookbook does not include nutritionals, but I would agree with Tina's estimate. They are relatively low in fat since the pumpkin does most of the work, but still have a good bit of sugar.

Becca said...

3 of some of my favorite flavors, I have to try these!

Unknown said...

For those of you who are thinking about making these and are counting calories, I just wanted to share the nutritional info. I input all the ingredients into spark people, and the whole recipe is about 2,438 calories and 108 grams of fat. I think Tina made 12 mini-muffins, so that's 203 calories per mini-muffin. I don't know if I can make these anymore, they are much higher in calories than I originally thought... :( They still look amazing, though!!!

Unknown said...

Ok, I was so upset at the possibility of not making these because of high calorie content that I started to see where the calories could be cut to make them fit into my diet. I cut down the oil to 0.25 cup, used 1/2 sugar and 1/2 splenda and cut the chocolate and peanut butter chips by 25%. I made 6 large muffins and they came out a little under 300 calories vs. 400+ calories as per original recipe. They were AMAZING! They were so rich; I couldn't imagine having even more oil and chips! My fiance loved them too and he usually doesn't like pumpkin. I highly highly recommend these!!!!

Rosiecat24 said...

Wow, Tina, this muffin recipe looks great! Isn't pumpkin a wonderful baking ingredient? If my Chicago weather stays cool enough to bake, I'd like to try these out. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Does anyone have an idea of how well these muffins keep? Do they freeze well?

Anonymous said...

Rosiecat,

I haven't tried freezing these, but I think they would hold up alright. I stored these in the fridge for about a week, and they still tasted great after a few days.

Anonymous said...

if really you're worried about calories, why not only eat half of one?

they're amazing!