Thursday, May 8, 2008

Dinner and Drinks at Fuji 1564

Dinner at Fuji was awesome (as usual!) We laughed a lot and ate and drank like kings and queens-- we ended up ordering 9 or 10 rolls of sushi, plus an appetizer, and an order of sashimi... and finished it all!

To start, I ordered a cocktail: a dirty vodka martini with olives-- my favorite!


As an appetizer, the four of us split an order of Steamed Gyoza (pork dumplings)... and then we ate a TON of sushi!

Spicy Tempura Maki Katsu Style (above)

Spider Maki
(below)
Soft shell crab with avacado, cucumber and tobiko roll


Our first order of 5 rolls...



Here is our friend, Jon, trying to figure out how to navigate this huge piece of sushi! He looks intimidated!


Here's a shot of our first order of sushi, which is just about gone-- we devoured it in about 10 minutes!


Round #2 of sushi: 3 more rolls and an order of sashimi!



Here I am on my third attempt trying to eat this big piece! I started to crack up because I felt pressure to eat it in one bite! I couldn't fit the whole thing in my mouth, and I've tried the 2-bite method, and it never seems to work!



Pumpkin-Peanut Butter

Around 5:30, I was starving, so I decided to have a small snack before dinner. I mixed together a spoonful of canned pumpkin and peanut butter, stirred it until it became a paste, added a shake of cinnamon and nutmeg, and spread on a piece of Ezekeil bread. A-mazing! You will be seeing this snack again real soon! Yum!


I'm exhausted (and in a food coma), and it's waaayyy past my bedtime, especially on a "school night!" Good night!

11 Comments:

Jill said...

I. LOVE. SUSHI. And I am so jealous.

And pumpkin peanut butter sounds amazing!

Danielle said...

Hope you sleep well! That food looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Love the pumpkin/PB paste idea!!

chandra said...

YUM!! I can't even find enough words to describe how much I love sushi and yours looks AMAZING!! I always love trying to stuff large rolls into my mouth - I get a very good laugh out of it... especially when once I get it in there I can't chew because my mouth is stuffed! :)

Anonymous said...

I made the Almond Joy oatmeal this morning and it did NOT disappoint. Thanks for posting the recipe and allowing us to steal your creative ideas! Keep 'em coming...

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wow, Fuji looks like such a fun restaurant - that sushi is positively elegant!!

The peanut-butter-pumpkin toast looks like a fabulous snack - yum!

Anonymous said...

Do you make your own marinara sauce? It looks so good. If not, what brand do you use? If so, how do you make it? Thanks!

Also, how do you make your spaghetti squash. I tried it once before and didn't like it- it really doesn't taste like pasta. But I think I should try it again.

Allyson said...

Question-How long does canned pumpkin keep? I always want to open a can, but am afraid I won't be able to use the whole can. What do you guys do to keep pumpkin?

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

The marinara sauce is store-bought. It is Walnut Acres Organic Tomato Basil Sauce. Here's a link for more info: http://www.walnutacres.com/product_view.php?id=15&cat=sauce
I found it in the "health food" isle of the grocery store.

To make spaghetti squash, I cut the squash in half (length-wise), dig out the seeds and guts, and then bake (face up) at 350 (F) degrees for about 45 minutes, until squash is soft (I just poke it with a fork to check). I let the halves cool for a little while, then scrap out the squash (length-wise) with a fork).

Allyson,

I'd say canned pumpkin stays good for about a week in a Tupperware container in the fridge. I usually use it within a week, so I'm not sure how much longer it would keep after a week.

Becca said...

The sushi looks amazing!

ChickPea said...

Wow! All that sushi looks so gorgeous! Hope you had a great time:)