Thursday, May 29, 2008

Happy Oatmeal

I have a feeling today is going to be a great day! (Well, let's hope by saying that I didn't just jinx myself!) My breakfast smiled up at me this morning! Check out the smiley face in my oatmeal-- it even looks like it has hair! I didn't notice the happy face until after taking a few photos from different angles. Seeing this in my bowl, totally put a smile on my face! :)

For breakfast this morning, I made my typical bowl of oatmeal (with a little bulgar mixed in), added some chopped medjool dates, and cooked it in the microwave for 4 minutes.


I topped my oatmeal-bulgar with some vanilla Stonyfield yogurt and a few walnuts, which I just haphazardly sprinkled on top, but ended up as a walnut smiley face!


Fun Run

In an effort to get in shape for my wedding, my sister (and MOH) decided to take up running a few months ago. She was not previously much of a runner (or exerciser), but she has been consistently running outside 4-5 times a week and has improved greatly in her distance and speed. To keep herself motivated, my sis signed up for a couple of Fun Runs, and I agreed to run them with her. And tonight is the first race! We are running in the Let's Run, Have Some Fun & Be Fit series, a 4.2 mile race along the Charles, which is followed by a BBQ. I'm really looking forward to it! It's my sister's first road race, so I think she is really excited about it too!

13 Comments:

Melanie said...

Have a great race tonite! How fun that you guys will run it together! I wish we had a running series like that in DC!

Anonymous said...

Do you buy bagged romaine or cut your own fresh?

Also, that vinegar sounds good. Do you mix it with anything? Any other salad dressing suggestions? thanks :)

Anonymous said...

have a great time @ the race!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina! I love reading your blog especially because I live in Boston and I like how i can recognize some of the places you talk about :) I was wondering where the place was that you went running in Quincy. Was it Wollaston Beach? I was there the other day and I was like geez this looks familiar.. also do you know if it's accesible by train? I choose not to drive around here so I'm always looking for new places I can get to by train to run and work out-- anywhere else you can reccomend? Thanks!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha, love the smiley face in your bowl of oats :0) Hopefully it will set the vibe for the rest of your day!

That race will be terrific!! Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I buy my romaine whole and just wash it and cut it.

I LOVE cabernet vinegar! I actually just use it from a bottle that we received as a gift. It you check out last night's post, there is a link to the brand and a description of it. It is the best! Another salad dressing that I like to make is 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp of spicy mustard, 1 clove of crushed garlic, and a squeeze of lemon. Shake it up and serve. Delish!

Ash,

Yep, I go running along Wollaston Beach. It's such a nice run! It is pretty assessable from the T-- about a mile from the N. Quincy stop and 1/2 from Wollaston T stop. Any where along the Charles is awesome too-- you can get off at Harvard Square, Charles MGH, North Station, Lechmere.

Melanie said...

I used to work at State Street Bank in North Quincy!! Rode the T there every morning from Charlestown....but now I live in DC.

Anonymous said...

Good luck at your race!!

Becca said...

Good luck tonight to you and your sister!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely cute!!!

healthy ashley said...

The race looks like fun!

And the smily face.. is it sticking its tonigue out at you? :)

chandra said...

The face totally looks like Princess Leah (sp?) to me!

Good luck to you and your sis at the race tonight!! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I think I ran a run in that series last summer. I ran the Jerry Garcia memorial run with my whole family. Even my dad (a huge deadhead) joined, and he hadn't run in about 20 years! The only complaint I had was the massive amount of people running and the super narrow sidewalks! It was also about 90 degrees and super humid that night. I'm hoping to run another one in boston if I make it back east this summer.