Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Impromptu Birthday Beer

I apologize in advance-- dinner tonight was not a pretty picture. This evening's meal was a leftover Spanikopita Burger with mushrooms sauteed in garlic, chili powder, and paprika on the side. (I originally purchased the mushrooms with plans to cook them on the grill, but our lack of a functioning grill forced me to pan-fry them before they went bad. Oh well, next time.) I dipped my burger and mushrooms into a little bit off Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce. Despite its unappetizing appearance, dinner was flavorful and a nice change from the usual! 


On my commute home today, my friend, Carl called to invite me to a neighborhood bar to celebrate his birthday with him. Mal and I and a bunch of our friends headed down to the Hancock Tavern to celebrate with Carl and enjoy a beer. I ordered a Blue Moon with an orange slice. So delish! This beer always reminds me of summer! We only stayed for about 90 minutes because I had something special to bake at home this evening! 


After the bar, I baked a cake for Mal's birthday, which is Friday. (The cake is in the oven now, and smells amazing!) We are having a get-together at our apartment tomorrow night to celebrate his birthday, and I thought Mal would enjoy blowing out his birthday candles surrounded by friends. Mal is obsessed with Funfetti Cake! According to him, he has had a Funfetti Cake for his birthday for the past 10 years... and some years, he has had more than one! It's definitely not a "healthy" cake, especially with the 2 grams of trans fat per serving, but once a year is totally worth it! 


14 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Spanikopita burger and mushrooms?? Looks like a great meal to me!! And that Blue Moon drink is GORGEOUS!!

Funfetti cake?? Haha, looks quite colorful, and "fun" indeed!! :0D

chandra said...

Who doesn't love funfetti?? It's FUN!!! :)

chandra said...

Wait - you totally just gave me an amazing idea! What if, instead of calling vegetables "veg-etables" we called them "fun-etables"? I bet kids would eat funetables before they'd eat vegetables any day! Ha!!

Cassie said...

Haha funfetti is my boyfriends favorite too! I made him funfetti cupcakes for his birthday this past April- too funny.

Oh and I love Blue Moon in the summer- nothing beats that!

Erica said...

Thats so awesome that he loves funfetti! You're an awesome to-be wife for making him his favorites!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE FUNFETTI CAKE! DELICIOUS! tina, i made the choc covered apricots last night and they were delicious! thanks!

Anonymous said...

love you! Love your site! thank you for the inspiration, please keep it up, you do a fantastic job! :)

Anonymous said...

You've got me curious.. what else can I put buffalo sauce on? We have the same kind. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Wow, my husband's birthday is on Friday too, and he also LOVES Funfetti! Maybe they were separated at birth. ;-) Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

runroamrecycle,

Oh, Buffalo Sauce... it is my new love. I pretty much put it on any type of sandwich-- turkey burgers, veggie burgers, grilled cheese, ham sandwiches, etc. I also put it on eggs (and egg sandwiches), raw and cooked veggies, bagels, and drizzled on salads.

Anonymous said...

Funfetti?? SO precious.

Amanda said...

I love Blue Moon as well. If you love Blue Moon, but not the 170 calories, Miller Light has a new collection call the Brewers Collection. They have three varieties - Wheat, Amber and Blonde. The Wheat is Miller's answer to Blue Moon - and it is very similar in taste. I even order it in a glass with an orange and love it. And they all have only 110 calories. They are only in certain cities right now, but keep your eye out for them.

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

THANK YOU for heads up! Miller Lite is my favorite light beer, and if these Brewers Collection beers are anything like Blue Moon, I'm sure I will love them! :)

Jessica said...

I totally forgot about funfetti cake, but i loved it too as a kid. Man, I'd love a slice right now - but then I'd be left with the whole cake. My favorite donut still to this date is a vanilla glazed donut with sprinkles - similar.