Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Kiwi-Strawberry Oatmeal

Mmmm... tropical heaven in a bowl! I wasn't sure how kiwi slices would "cook-up" in the microwave, but they turned out surprisingly well! Despite looking like green peppers in my oatmeal, they were sweet, delicious, and a wonderful compliment to the strawberries.


I topped my kiwi-strawberry oatmeal with a spoonful of vanilla yogurt and a few walnut pieces. I also added a squirt of sugar-free maple syrup to the mixture to give it a little extra sweetness.


An interesting kiwi fact from Wikipedia (ooh, how I love fun food facts!): "Kiwifruit also serves as a natural blood thinner. A recent study performed at the University of Oslo in Norway reveals that--similar to popular mainstream aspirin therapy-consuming two to three kiwifruit daily for 28 days significantly thins the blood, reducing the risk of clots, and lowers fat in the blood that can cause blockages." Who would have guessed?


On the commute to work this morning, I was craaa-ving iced coffee! I typically just drink the office coffee-- we have one of those K-Cup coffee machines, so I change-it-up every morning-- but today, I really, really wanted iced coffee. I popped in Starbucks for a grande iced coffee with soy milk. It is hitting the SPOT!


Lots to do today at work, but I leave you with one of my favorite words...

Phytochemicals /
n: Unlike bad (or synthetic) chemicals, these antioxidant, cancer-fighting compounds are found naturally in whole grains, fruits and veggies -- particularly in their peels. Some produce has more than others, so chow down on these nutrition-packed peels to get your dose of phytochemicals (among other healthy bonuses).

From http://www.vitaljuicedaily.com/

12 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

kiwi-strawberry oatmeal - YUM!!! love the sweeter-fruit combination.

haha, enjoy your iced coffee!! should help you get through your work day.

"phytochemicals"... definitely has a ring to it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina quick question, I noticed you had mentioned in an earlier entry that because of high food costs that yall were trying to go without some things. We are doing the same in my house and wanted to know if you could make any good substitutions for healthy items. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What type of salad dressing do you typically use? If you make your own what proportions and type of vinegar, I have no idea how to make mine own, but would like to try since most store bought ones have so much artificial stuff!

Also, for your spaghetti squash what type of sauce or brand do you typically use? I think you've given me the courage to try it....I had it once before and was turned off since it really doesn't taste like pasta. Have a good day at work!

Anonymous said...

Did you always like plain yogurt. I have tried repeatedly but it taste so tarte to me. I tried adding honey but the calories added up to the same as if I had just bought flavored yogurt. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, if you don't mind, I have one other question. Do you have a favorite brand of pita and tortilla? Joseph's isn't sold where I live :(

Anonymous said...

Carrie,

We are trying to be more conscious of WHAT were are buying, and how to better incorporate it into meals. I guess we are trying to be more creative with what is on sale and what we already have in our apartment (in the freezer and cupboards). We've also been cutting coupons and purchasing in-season produce, which has helped a little bit too. And of course, we've been "living without"... less fancy cheese, wine, meats, etc. and meals out.

Lara,

I actually don't use salad dressing that often. If I do, I sometimes add oil and vinegar with pepper and/or lemon to my salad or dip my veggies in honey mustard or peanut sauce on the side.

I'm not sure of the exact brand of sauce that I use... it's an organic tomato basil marinara that I buy at Stop and Shop. It's delicious! Spaghetti squash is great-- you should definitely give it a try!

Kim,

I think I've always kind of liked plain yogurt, but I never actually eat it plain. I always add berries, nuts, cereal, honey, etc. so it's never boring. If you want to sweeten it up without adding a lot of calories, you can add Splenda, Stevia, or sugar-free jam.

arielle said...

I am beginning to think you are a genius with all of these combinations.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic that kiwi is a blood thinner I'm going to have to force feed it to my parents with high blood pressure, hehe.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I am not the only coupon clipper out there!! I have learned that if you buy produce from the mom&pop stands, they are much cheaper than buy it from the expensive super markets. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Strawberry kiwi oatmeal? Wow, that's one that I'll definitely have to give a try, I would never have even thought to add kiwi to oatmeal!

Anonymous said...

tina,
as much as I adore your blog, I feel like sometimes your pictures or certain combinations of foods are completely hit or miss.....like this morning....it's more of the latter in the aesthetic department (not that the combo is weird).
Just putting in my two cents...

Sarah R said...

nummy! im trying this tomorrow. thanks!