Friday, May 9, 2008

That Friday Feeling

It's Friday afternoon. It's raining, windy, and blah outside. My boss is out of the office today, and I have zero motivation to do work, sooooo... I've come to the conclusion that it is time to avoid all work for the rest of the afternoon. :)

Lunch today was a homemade salad that didn't turn out as yummy as I had hoped, which was a real bummer. I hate it when you make your lunch, bring it to work, decide you're not in the mood for what you brought, but feel obligated to eat it, so reluctantly you do, then don't like it, and decide you don't want to eat it at all, so you throw it away and go hungry. So, yea, that's pretty much what happened this afternoon.


However, I did manage to eat most of the tuna, all of the cherry tomatoes, chick peas, and jalapeƱos. I tossed most of the lettuce and guacamole chunks... they were just yucky.


Thankfully, my sweet snack after lunch was a million times tastier! I had two Pumpkin-Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Muffins and a mug of English breakfast tea. YUM!


My afternoon snack is vanilla Stonyfield yogurt with Kashi cereal, raisins, and big spoonful of peanut butter.


Pub Golf

Since I have some extra time this afternoon, I figured I would explain my upcoming Saturday afternoon/evening event. My friend, Jen, and I have been planning an annual pub crawl for the past 3 years. The event has a golf theme to it, and is appropriately named Pub Golf. (Mal actually introduced me to Pub Golf. He used to play with his college friends.)

Pub Golf is not, however, a standard, run-of-the-mill pub crawl. There are a number of rules and regulations that players must follow. The first (and most important) is that you must dress in golf attire, which means lots of plaid, argyle, polo shirts, visors, caps, golf gloves, etc. I've even seen people bring toy golf bags with them. If you do not dress up in golf gear, you automatically gain points (reminder: the goal of golf is to have the lowest score).

How to play Pub Golf (from the evite):

General Rules:

- Teams of 4 players (Try for equal mix of boys and girls-- we want to play fair, don't we!?)

- Nine (9) holes (pubs) on the course

- Each hole has a par of 1

- Each pub hole allows approximately 30 minutes

- Teams should be dressed in appropriate golf attire

Scoring:

-Each player must choose and consume ONE drink in each pub. Points are only scored for this ONE drink.

-A "stroke" is counted as: Lifting the drink to your lips and then putting it down. If you finish in one try, that's 1 stroke (aka Hole-in-One). If you pause in drinking, put down the drink or even just tilt the drink downwards away from your mouth before you have finished, that counts as an extra stroke. As long as the drink is up and pouring into your mouth AND you continue to drink, it is still the same stroke.

Penalties:

-Failure to complete a hole (finish drink) = 3 shot penalty (no points awarded for your drink)

- Using the bathroom at any hole deemed a "water hazard" = 2 shot penalty

- Drinking with your non-dominate hand at any hole deemed a "sandtrap" = 2 shot penalty

- Failure to have a drink at all at a pub = 4 shot penalty

- Failure to dress in golf attire = 4 shot penalty per player


Clearly, this is a pretty hardcore game. In the 3 years that I have participated, I have never once successfully completed all 9 holes. I usually cheat, and give away my beers or drink water and count that as my drink. It's a wicked fun time-- people love the golf theme and really get into with their outfits, team names, and lingo. The drinking part is definitely overwhelming, especially for people like me, who have no alcohol tolerance and don't enjoy being super drunk, but no one gives you a hard time if you're not binge drinking with everyone else. Some people just dress up, travel with the pack, and don't play the drinking game.

I know that I will have a few beers with my team, but I also know that I won't get out of control, sloppy drunk. I hate, hate, hate being hungover, and it's Mother's Day on Sunday, and Mom would not appreciate me in that condition! I am looking forward to a very fun time tomorrow... and my golf outfit is sweeeet!

My sister and I last year at Pub Golf 2007...

3 Comments:

Beth said...

Wow, you must be bored at work if you typed all of that up! :p Sounds dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Hey there lady..

just thought I'd let you know I DID decide on Northeastern.. despite my nightmares of living in a cardboard box until I'm 65.. there were just too many things NU had to offer :)

Muffins look yummy! This last week I've had about [--] this much spare time.. but maybe I'll get to bake pumpkin bread or something this weekend! Maybe with my mom on Mothers day..!! (As you can tell.. I still don't have the plans worked out yet..)

ANYWAY, just wanted to drop a hello before I head off to work!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha, I hear ya - embrace the procrastination! ;0)

Those muffins keep looking better and better - yum!

Haha, Pub Golf sounds quite entertaining! Have fun with that! :0)