Friday, May 2, 2008

A Wolf at the Table

Tonight was awe-some! Augusten Burroughs, one of my favorite authors of all time, made an appearance this evening at the Boston Public Library to discuss and sign his new book, A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father.

I arrived almost an hour (5:03 pm) before the event was to start-- the line to get in was already a hundred people deep! (The only reason I know this is because I received ticket #102 when we entered the event.) Despite the wait, I was super excited to see Mr. Burroughs!!!

Augusten was great-- hilarious, animated, and genuine. He was exactly how I expected him to be! Let's just say, his personality definitely shines through in his books! Augusten read an excerpt from his new book, and then opened the event to a question and answer period. Afterwards, he signed books...

This was my first book signing! So cool!


I decided to be a psycho fan and asked for a photo! Isn't he a handsome devil!?


I got super nervous as soon as I walked up to the table to meet Augusten. Of course, in awkward Tina-fashion, I managed to say something totally weird to him. I said: "You are wonderful!" (What!?) Thankfully, he seemed appreciative and just smiled, and I slipped away with my signed book. I am such a nerd!


Here's a brief synopsis of his new memoir-- it is much heavier than his four previous books...

"Augusten Burroughs tackles the trauma and chaos of growing up with an emotionally abusive father in A Wolf at the Table. Burrough's dark story follows the radical pendulum swing between love and hate--stunning psychological cruelty, and ultimately, the redemptive power of hope."

Augusten reading from A Wolf at the Table...


Oh yea, dinner...

I didn't get home until almost 9:00, and I was famished!!! I totally did the rush-to-the-refrigerator-and-stuff-my-face thing! Luckily, I grabbed broccoli and hummus to chow down on.


After getting my hunger under control, I cooked up an egg and mozzarella pita sandwich and reheated carrots from last night. I'm feeling much better now. I was ravenous!


We have friends over watching the Celtics game, and I am being very anti-social. I'm going to enjoy a glass of wine and socialize. Good night, all!

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

If you get a chance, you should read Augusten's brother's book, "Look Me In The Eye," by John Elder Robison. It's his account on his life with Asperger's, a social language disorder. I'm a speech therapist who works with several kids with Asperger's. It mentions Augusten in there a few times! It's very interesting as well.

Anonymous said...

Alisha,

Yes! It's next on my list! Augusten talked about his brother's book tonight-- it sounds amazing! My cousins have Asperger's. It's a very interesting disorder.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

ahhh, so fun that Augusten Burroughs signed your book, AND took a photograph with you - so glad that you ended up attending the event!!

Ser said...

I love your blog, Tina, although I have never commented before. I really appreciate the balanced relationship with food that you have--you seem to strike a great balance between viewing food as fuel and enjoying it as a pleasure.

I made the carrots last night and they are wonderful! I love coconut, too. It is one of my favorite foods. I even used my allowance as a child once to buy a whole coconut. :)

I noticed your comment on Kath's blog about natural childbirth. It is a topic I am passionate about (I had my first naturally with midwives in the hospital and the second at home) so if you ever have any questions or anything, I'm your gal. I know you aren't having kids for a long time, though. I haven't yet seen The Business of Being Born, but I've heard it is great.

Anonymous said...

Ser,

Thanks for your comments! Aren't Mollie's carrots amazing?! Love them!

Children are many, many years away for us, but I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with midwives. A friend of our is doing research in public policy and opened our eyes to the "business" of child birth. It's a very interesting subject.