Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Beat LA!

Big game tonight! I'm excited/nervous for it. Mal and I are both wearing our lucky green. Let's hope the Celtics play well tonight! Go C's!

Tonight's dinner was TJ's Pork Gyoza Potstickers, which are filled with a flavorful pork and veggie mixture. I love these things! They're so easy and quick to make, delicious, and inexpensive. It took just 2 minutes in the microwave to cook them.


With the gyoza, I also cooked up some brown rice and sauteed a bunch of green beans in TJ's Gyoza Dipping Sauce, which has a ton of flavor and quite the zing to it! I could drink it! Of course, I drizzled a little more of the sauce all over my plate. Sooooo good!


Kath's Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars inspired me to create my own on-the-go oats creation. We are running low on many ingredients, but I was able to come up with quite a lovely creation. :)

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins


Makes 9 mini muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup walnuts
1/4 cup chopped dates (or raisins)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend well.
3. Coat mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
4. Divide mixture among muffin tins evenly.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes until center of muffins is firm and tops are golden brown.
6. Cool muffins on wire rack.

Approximately 80-85 calories per muffin.


Celtics Game + Wine

For the Celtics game, we opened a bottle of wine from our wedding shower. Not sure if I mentioned this in the blog before, but we received (no joke) 32 bottles of wine as gifts from our guests. My shower had a wine and cheese theme, so a bottle of wine was a perfect gift! Anyway, we opened a bottle of Fish Eye Chardonnay tonight.

Wine description: "Mouth watering pear, baked apple and tropical swirls of pineapple roll on the palate like a ship at sea. Crème brulée, vanilla and caramel all contribute to a rich mouthfeel and lingering finish. Make a splash serve with salmon, creamy pasta dishes, chicken parmesan and soft cheeses."

My review: This bottle is a good, classic Chardonnay. It has a crisp, pear/mango flavor with a hint of sweetness-- exactly what you would expect from a fruity Chardonnay. It's a perfect everyday wine-- not too sweet, not too dry. I will definitely buy this wine!


Go CELTICS
! (The game is on now, and Mal is freaking out!)

9 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ooooh, those muffins look scrumptious.

Anonymous said...

muffins and the gyoza both look good! ive been curious about that dipping sauce. now I know!
GO CELTICS!!!

Anonymous said...

That gyoza looks sooo yummy.

And I'm watching the game right now.. Celtics are KILLING it!!

Anonymous said...

I have a question I was hoping you could help me with!

My mom was told by the doctor to start taking calcium supplements and vitamin D supplements, and I had mentioned to her that there were some 'chocolate-like chews' available because I rememberd seeing you have them.

I was just wondering where you get those, how often you have them, and how much calcium it has?

Thanks so much! :)

Anonymous said...

For your recipe, can you use all oats instead of half oats and half oat bran?

Ann said...

Hi! I'm new to the blog and found you by way of Kath. I live in Brookline so it's great to read someone's blog from Boston ;-) Yay Celtics! Anyway, love the recipe last night from TJs...will definitely have to try it soon!

Anonymous said...

Anon,

Here's everything you need to know about Adora... An Adora disk is a chocolate calcium supplement that provides about 50% of your daily requirements. They are delicious and actually taste like real chocolate. Here's a link to their website: http://adoracalcium.com. You can order the Adora disks online, but they are also sold at Whole Foods and Walgreens as well as some other retailers.

Anon,

You could probably use 1 cup of oats instead of 1/2 and 1/2. I'm not sure because I just made up the recipe last night. If you try it with 1 cup of oats, please let me know how they turn out! :)

Anonymous said...

Ann,

Glad you found the blog! I love Brookline! I lived in Coolidge Corner a few years ago-- such a fun place! :)

Anonymous said...

i am definitely getting that wine!