Thursday, June 26, 2008

Little of This, Little of That

So, I've discovered something new about myself: If I don't make my lunch at night, it is difficult for me to "get it together" in the morning. I'm too tired (and lazy) to actually make a lunch-- instead I grab some random foods, bring them to work, eat them together, and call it lunch. Here's what my morning brain prepared today...

One leftover Spaghetti Squash Pancake...

You see, if I had prepared this the night before, I would have taken Mal's suggestion, and melted cheese on top, which would have made an amazing lunch. Next time!


Lunch also included Chobani Greek Yogurt (a cheaper Fage alternative) and a dark chocolate Adora.


I ate the Chobani with some sliced strawberries. (I actually prepared the strawberries on Tuesday night for a snack yesterday, but since I didn't have time to eat them yesterday, they became part of today's lunch... I'm glad it worked out!) Chobani and strawberries together...


Another grab-and-go item for lunch: Cinnamon Roll Larabar. Very delicious, but it kind of tasted like some of their other flavors? Anyone else experience this?


Afternoon Snack


Meal preparation can't get much easier than a banana and a jar of peanut butter! I'm really looking forward to my afternoon snack today. I'm seriously craving peanut butter!


Question of the Day

Do you have an eating schedule? If so, what is it? If not, do you just listen to your body's hunger cues?

Me: During the work week, I sure do have a schedule! Otherwise, I'd snacked at my desk all day long. I need some sort of "structure!" Breakfast is at 7:30, lunch at 11:30, afternoon snack at 3:00, and dinner is between 6:00-7:00. However, if I am truly hungry (not just bored or stressed), I will just eat something. On the weekends, my eating schedule is never the same. I tend to be so busy that I only eat when my stomach is growling.

16 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Yeah, the Cinnamon Roll flavor is quite reminiscent of the Pecan Pie one, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

As far as larabars go, I just wanted to recommend the cashew cookie flavor. Its amazing! Maybe I'm just a cashew finatic, but I loved the texture and sweetness of it..yum. :)

Anne P said...

Breakfast at 9 when i get to work, lunch at noon, and then usually two snacks at some point in the afternoon... usually around 2:30 or 3 and then again around 4 or 4:30 ;) Then gym after work, and dinner around 8. Weekends are random, like yours!

Anne P said...

p.s. have you tried the apple pie larabar yet?? by far my favorite :)

Anonymous said...

Breakfast at 8 when I get to work, morning snack around 10, Lunch around 12:30, snack at 3, pre-gym snack at 6, then dinner at 8. Weekends are absolutely random... whenever my tummy tells me it's time to eat!!

PonderingRunningYogi said...

Breakfast at 5 before workout, post-workout snack at 6:45ish, lunch between 11-12 (whenever I get hungry, and dinner sometime between 5:30 and 7 (whenever it's ready)! I used to time out a morning snack (at 10) and afternoon snack (at 3), but since trying the intuitive eating, I find I often don't need anything and will only have one if I'm actually hungry. On the weekends it's random, like everyone else...just whenever I get hungry!

Sarah said...

I love your questions of the day, how do you come up with them?

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Honestly, I just think them up... usually on my commute to work. I think about things that I'd like to discuss/know more about, and ask the question to readers. If you have any questions that you would like me to ask on the blog, please feel free to email me them. Some days it's tough to come up with a good question!

Anonymous said...

(de-lurking)...I follow the 5-6 small meals a day plan/philosophy/so forth so I mostly snack throughout the day--I eat about 200-350 calorie meals every 3-4 hours (and I eat two apples a day as part of my 'snacks' because they're just sooo good.), great question!

Do you have any good tips for not eating too much right before bed/in the after dinner hours?

Thanks for the blog I love it!

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I am going to use your questions as the "Question of the Day" tomorrow. Is that okay with you? We'll get lots of good ideas!

In the meantime, my "go-to" ideas...

-Brush, floss, mouthwash (the whole process slows me down and I don't want to eat and ruin my clean teeth)
-Give yourself a manicure. Can't eat with wet nails!
-Organize something in your house (closet, junk drawer, etc.) Once I get started, I can't stop.
-"Close" the kitchen. Put a chair in front of the doorway to signal that the kitchen is closed/no more eating.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only person who is physically unable to work out before 8am? haha

Anonymous said...

I do not really have a scedule, more that I listen to my body, when I am hungry I eat. I do typically have breakfast by 9 even if I am not hungry because I know I need to eat to start my metabolism.

Anonymous said...

Great question, Tina! It looks like a lot of us do have schedules. I have breakfast at 7:45, lunch at 12:45, a snack at 4:00, and dinner at 8:00.

Anonymous said...

Cinnamon Roll Larabar had so much potential. A for effort. But, agreed...it was bland. Rumor has it that there is a new Peanut Butter LaraBar!!! I have yet to see this sweet manna from heaven, but it sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

That would be great Tina, and those suggestions were very helpful!

Anonymous said...

My schedule seems more stretched out than most. I eat breakfast around 7:15, have lunch around 1, go to the gym after work, eat a snack when I get home around 6:30, and then have dinner between 8 and 9.

I like to have iced coffee in the morning but it never occurred to make it the night before so that it is fully chilled - what a great idea! Thanks for the tip!