Wednesday, June 11, 2008

New Flavor Combinations

I'm always looking to try new food combinations, and tonight, I tried a couple of interesting combos. Mal says that I have a "strange" palate; I think of it as "complex." :)

Here's our grill loaded up with Italian chicken sausages, green peppers, onions, and a peach. (Yep, a peach.) 


The grilled peach ended up as part of a salad. Here are the rough measurements:

Grilled Peach Salad
Makes 1 serving (or 2 small)

Ingredients:
1 peach (halved)
1/4 cup diced onions*
1/8 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/8 cup chopped walnuts
1-2 tsbp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar

Directions: Half and remove pit from peach, grill until both halves are soft. Combine brown sugar and balsamic vinegar then the remaining ingredients. Toss all ingredients well. Serve chilled. 

* I used diced yellow onions in the recipe, but I wasn't really a fan of the flavor that it added. When I make this again, I will probably omit the onions. 


Our grilled Italian chicken sausages with green peppers and onions on whole wheat buns... 


I topped my sausage with organic ketchup and buffalo sauce. I ate about 2/3 of this sandwich. I was stuffed!


Afternoon Snack

While blogging my afternoon post, I enjoyed a pomegranate-lemonade with lime... and some sunshine out in front of our apartment building. The sun was so bright that it was hard to see the laptop screen. 


Around 3:30, I made myself a 1/2 of a Thomas English muffin with peanut butter and some pitted dates on the side. This snack never gets old. Yum! 


Baking

I'm not sure why I decided to do some baking on such a hot evening. Our apartment is cookin' right now! I came up with a recipe for mango bread, and I have no idea what to expect! Kitchen experiments are always fun though! :) 

Before going into the oven...
 

Raisin-Walnut Mango Bread

Ingredients:
1-2 cup diced mango
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 egg liquid egg whites
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup raisins

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix until blended well. Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

The mango bread should be finished any minute now. I'll be sure to report how it turned out! 

***Update***

The mango bread turned out delicious! The only thing that I would change is the kind of flour. I used whole wheat flour, but I think regular white flour would have been better. The whole wheat flour makes the bread rather dense, and I prefer a more "fluffy" sweet bread. Oh well, next time, right?

Sweet dreams!

11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

mango bread! that's a new idea :) can't wait to hear how it tastes!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

LOVE the grilled peach salad, and LOVE the mango bread - brilliant!

Anonymous said...

i love your idea for mango bread!!! so creative :)

i was actually just reading a recipe in cooking light for grilled peach salad, you have inspired me to try something similar!

Samantha said...

Tina,
I have been reading yours and Kath's blog for a little while now and I really enjoy it. You have inspired me to try my hand at it, it is runningwitharecipe.blogspot.com, I just started so it is still a work in progress but if you wouldn't mind checking it out and letting me know what you think. Thanks

healthy ashley said...

You haven't updated yet, so... if that bread is still in the oven, you better take it out! It's been HOURS!

Anonymous said...

I am a reader who has never commented, but I have been meaning to ask if you are trying to lose weight? Five dates and half an English muffin seems like a very meager lunch and a dinner of a small peach salad with a few bits of a sandwich would never make me "stuffed"... I don't mean to be rude at all, I'm just confused because that would never sustain my activity (gym), which I see you participate in as well.

Anonymous said...

Yum I'm going to have to try out that mango bread since I have a TON of mangoes to use up!

Anonymous said...

Anon,

Nope, I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm actually really surprised by your comment. I think you may have missed my lunch post-- my lunch consisted of a can of tuna with capers and relish, a salad, and a Larabar. My afternoon snack was an English muffin and some dates. In general, I typically eat between 1700-2200 calories per day.

Unknown said...

Have you tried white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour for baking? They often are lighter than regular whole wheat and a better 1:1 sub for AP flour. Sorry if you have, i read too many blogs :)

Anne P said...

agreed, whole wheat pastry flour is the way to go!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are right; I thought that was a previous day. My mistake - thanks for clearing that up. Makes me feel better!