Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Happy Day Away (from the Office)

After breakfast, I took a walk to the supermarket for a much-needed grocery shopping. I tried to limit the amount of stuff that I purchased because (1) we are trying to save some dinero; (2) I had to carry all of it back to my apartment, which is about a 10-minute walk. A 10-minute walk is a piece of cake when you are running out for a bottle of wine (we do this often), but when you have 5 heavy bags and a 24-pack of TP, it's awkward and not at all enjoyable. Somehow, I made it home in one piece... obviously, sweating and out of breath.

In this week's cart...

  • Lettuce
  • Red onion
  • Yellow onion
  • Lime
  • Larabars
  • Green pepper
  • Asparagus
  • Organic milk
  • Dates
  • Scallops
  • Peaches
  • Chicken sausage
  • Blue cheese crumbles
  • Gruyere cheese
  • Cannellini beans
  • Stonyfield yogurt 
  • Strawberries
  • Cantaloupe 
  • Corn
  • Soda water
  • Buffalo Kettle chips
  • Bananas 
  • Van's Organic Waffles
  • Thomas English Muffins
  • Thomas Grillers
  • Canned tuna
  • Capers 
  • Nature's Choice blueberry multigrain cereal bars 

After putting away the groceries, it was time for a mid-morning snack. I was planning a late morning running, so a small bite to eat was a good idea. I had an iced coffee with 1/2 of a toasted English muffin with strawberry-rhubarb jam


On my run, I got to test out my new running sneakers. I ended up buying another pair of Nikes from Marathon Sports yesterday. I was never a fan of Nike's running shoes-- I was always a Saucony gal-- I've now been converted. Nikes are surprisingly great running shoes... and the pair that I purchased have the capacity to easily work with all of the cool Nike running gadgets. I have my eye on the Nike Sportband. I dropped a couple of (not-so-subtle) hints to Mal about it for my birthday next week! :)


Despite the brand-spanking new running shoes, my run today wasn't very energetic. (I blame last night's margaritas and beers!) My legs weighed a million pounds, and I just couldn't keep them moving. My run turned into more of a run-walk. I stopped and walked probably 4 or 5 times over the course of an hour. 

After running/walking and a shower, it was time for lunch! Today's lunch was canned tuna mixed with my favorite Vermont relish, capers, and lime juice on a bed of lettuce. The lime juice gave the tuna a nice, tangy flavor to it-- very summery! 


Also with lunch, I had a Chocolate Coconut Chew Larabar. When I bought this bar this morning, I was drooling over the ingredients, but when I actually tasted it, I wasn't impressed. It didn't have nearly as much flavor as the other Larabar varieties... I dunno, maybe I just have my favorites. 


Today is flying by! I guess that's what happens when you're not chained to a desk and bogged down with endless work. I'm so happy I decided to have a day to myself! :)

11 Comments:

healthy ashley said...

Hold on! You carried ALL of that home from the grocery store? You are made of pure muscle!

Anne P said...

yeah for real! i saw that melon and i was like... damn! that crap is heavy!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

I've been trying to get my husband to walk to the store with me, I thought it might help us keep from buying too much :) Plus it's only a 20 minute walk, easy enough. If you can carry that much I know two of us can handle it!

One Food Guy said...

Nice work Tina.

I'm a Saucony guy, I like the Trigon Guides, I'm on my fourth pair. I tried some Asics in between and just didn't like them.

How do the Nikes compare to the Sauconys? I like the idea of all the Nike+ electronics but I don't know if I want to switch up my shoes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina! It sounds like you are having an amazing day - kudos to you- you deserve it!

My name is Anna and I have been an avid lover of the food blogging world for over a year. Your blog really appeals to me because it represents a normal girl who is attractively thin but not overly so enjoying healthy food and occasional treats while living the good life with her fiance and excelling at her job. What woman doesn't want that?!

About a month ago, I started my own blog, called Meals from the Girl in the Little Black Dress.
http://mealsfromthegirlinthelittleblackdress.wordpress.com/
I focus on eating healthfully with mostly whole foods, and feeling good about everything I put into my mouth. I was wondering if I might provide a link to your blog on my website? Also, if you have any suggestions on my blog, I would love to hear them! Thanks so much, Jenna, for being so inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I wrote Jenna because I copied the last paragraph from a comment i wrote on Jenna's wall! Please excuse my carelessness!

Beth said...

What are Thomas Grinders?

And p.s. the Nike + ipod is AWESOME if you have an ipod nano.

Anonymous said...

One food guy,

I like the "sturdiness" of the Nike's. They seem to have a firmer sole than the Sauconys-- at least the pairs that I tried yesterday. I actually wanted to buy a pair of Saucony's, but the Nikes won me over again!

Little black dress,

Your blog is very cute! I love the name! Please feel free to link my blog to yours! :)

Beth,

The Thomas Grinders are big English muffins. I had a coupon, and they look like they'd be great with veggie burgers, so I thought I'd give them a try. I'll be sure to report how they are!

Thanks for the info on the Nike + nano! I really want one now! :)

Anonymous said...

Beth,

I just realized that I wrote "Ginders" twice. I have no idea what I was thinking. They are Thomas Grillers! Sorry for the confusion! :)

Beth said...

haha, no problem. The Nike + is a really awesome gadget. You can set workout goals by time or distance, and a little voice comes in your earphone to encourage you during the workout. Mine sometimes is a little off on the distance - but I hear it's even more exact with Nike shoes. (I have Brooks shoes and wear the sensor in a little velcro pouch attached to my laces)

Unknown said...

That's quite a pile of groceries!! I do that all too often... how bout the day i got a gallon of milk, 8lb bag of oranges (they were only $4!!) and huge bag of frozen tilapia (it was only $9!!). darn those 17 blocks are a killer! Although it doesn't seem to stop me from buying watermelons! :)