Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bowl of Oatmeal Pancake?

I woke up craving an oatmeal pancake this morning. As quick and easy as it is to make one, I still felt rushed for time, and wanted a breakfast that was even quicker and easier to make!

Kitchen experiment #525: Bowl of Oatmeal Pancake. It doesn't look pretty, but it tasted great! It was very similar to a regular oatmeal pancake, but less fluffy, more dense and chewy... and it only took 3 minutes to make! :)


How to:

Combine in a small bowl:
1/3 cup dry oats
2/3 cup liquid egg whites
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of vanilla extra
1/3 cup fresh blueberries (optional)

Mix ingredients well. Spray another small, deep, microwavable bowl with non-stick cooking spray, and pour mixture into new (cooking sprayed) bowl. Cook in microwave for 2 minutes. Top oatmeal pancake with maple syrup (optional). Enjoy!


I also brought some iced coffee for my commute. I finished off our iced coffee this morning, so today's mixture was more of an iced misto than regular iced coffee. Happy Halloween! :)


Question of the Day

What is your best/favorite kitchen experiment?

Me: My favorites:

Coconut Date Cookies
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins - lower calorie version
Buffalo Grilled Cheese
Pumpkin Coconut Date Bars

I love kitchen experiments, especially baking experiments! It's so much fun combining my favorite ingredients with new/random ones and seeing what develops. The possibilities are endless!

18 Comments:

Samantha said...

Great breakfast idea. How was the movie?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looks delish!!

My favorite kitchen experiments/creations:

- S'mores Muffins (thank goodness for vegan marshmallows and vegan graham crackers!)

- Cookies & Cream Muffin-Cakes

- Vanilla-Caramel Cookies

- Orange-Almond-Butter-Oatmeal Cookies

Aimee said...

I can't wait to try your microwave pancake idea, that sounds perfect.

A new kitchen creation (thanks to too many over ripe bananas) was Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies:
I posted the recipe in this entry http://healthylawyer.blogspot.com/2008/07/soccer-sunday.html

Anonymous said...

Sammie and others,

The movie was great! Action-packed and Heath Ledger was amazing, as expected. My only gripe was that it was sooo long!

Protea said...

Hi Tina
I'm so rude! I added your blog to my list and forgot to ask you... is that ok with you?
D

Anonymous said...

D,

Of course! :) I checked out your blog, and it is very cute!

Anonymous said...

Great idea, can't wait to try cooking my pancake in the microwave. Perfect for crazy weekday mornings! Also, thanks for reminding me about your coconut date cookies, I wanted to make them awhile ago, I will do it this weekend or maybe tonight :)

My favorite kitchen creation right now is my Chocolate pumpkin muffins. In fact I pulled one out of the freezer this morning for a snack :)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous breakfast twist, Tina! I will definitely be trying that one for sure!

My favorite kitchen creation of all time was what I like to call "Choconana Pudding Muffins" because I actually was able to use pudding in the recipe! The recipe is here if you're interested: http://eatingbender.wordpress.com/recipes/choconana-pudding-muffins/

Have a great day, Tina!

Anonymous said...

That's a great breakfast idea!

What is the brand of blueberry fruit topping you used yesterday. It looks amazing. Did you find that snack filled you? I always seem to need carbs with my snack ie granola bar.

Also, what type of bread did you use for your panani. IT looks delicious :)

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I updated the fruit spread brand on the blog this morning. It's Dalfour's Wild Blueberry. It was such a yummy snack (I brought it again today), and it filled me up and held me over until dinner.

We buy Stop and Shop's Nature's Promise Whole Wheat bread.

Anonymous said...

Tina, I made a tomato and parmesan (no mozzarella in the house) cheese panini last night and loved it. Decided to make another one to take for lunch today. How did you reheat yours?

Anonymous said...

Carrie,

Yum! I reheated my panini in the microwave at work. Surprisingly, it didn't make it soggy. I put it in for about 45 seconds.

Fitnessista said...

what a great idea!! looks delicious :)

here's some of my favorite creations:
-pumpkin cheesecake muffins
- peanut butter banana cookies and
- whole wheat baked chicken wings

Have a wonderful day!!

Catherine said...

Tina,
I made your banana muffins and my boyfriend LOVES them. As he was chowing down on one, he said it's one of the best things he's ever eaten :o)

So thank you for sharing your kitchen creations!!

Anonymous said...

Oatmeal pancake? Simple and easy in the microwave? I'm THERE! I'm a big oatmeal-eater, and I think it would be interesting to prepare it a little differently once in a while (plus, I like that the liquid egg whites would give it additional protein). Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, sometimes oats tasta soooo good!
My mom and I were initially making chickpea patties (from cooking light) when she realized she forgot the chickpeas!! She substituted black beans and they turned out so much better than the original beans. Come to think of it, that sounds super good now. :]

Becca said...

Looks like a great idea.

One of my favorites is definitely carrot cake pancakes...and some of my oat bran combos!

Anonymous said...

I made a blueberry oatmeal pancake for breakfast today, but had a disaster flipping it over =] So I just scrambled it into "fried oatmeal" like I remember you doing one time. Again, not the prettiest, but it was still delish, especially with maple syrup!